Question External drive randomly disconnected, and now it doesn't work

Apr 22, 2019
I was using Google chrome, when it suddenly closed and said something about it not existing. I then realized that my drive had vanished, and all the icons that originate on that drive were blank. I managed to get it appear again after rebooting , but now booting takes about 10 minutes and any interaction with the drive crashes file explorer and some other features. If I try to open the drive, file explorer stops responding until I unplug the drive, where everything immediately goes back to normal. This HDD is USB, so it can't be a sata port. 1tb worth of games is something rather not lose, alongside some important stuff

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model external USB drive?

Does the external HDD have its own power supply or is it using USB power?

If USB power you may need a USB hub that is independently powered. Plug the hub into the PC and the external USB drive into the hub.

Suggested reading:

https://www.cmd-ltd.com/advice-cent...ed-or-unpowered-which-usb-hub-should-you-buy/

You can easily find similar web postings for additional information and detail.

Apr 22, 2019
Make and model external USB drive?

Does the external HDD have its own power supply or is it using USB power?

If USB power you may need a USB hub that is independently powered. Plug the hub into the PC and the external USB drive into the hub.

Suggested reading:

https://www.cmd-ltd.com/advice-cent...ed-or-unpowered-which-usb-hub-should-you-buy/

You can easily find similar web postings for additional information and detail.
The HDD has its own supply box. All I can find is "Seagate Freeagent Desk"

Apr 22, 2019
I used a different USB and it tried loading it. Parameter incorrect. Went ahead and tried fixes for that and it's so broken, that chkdsk and cmd both do not run with it plugged into my computer. I think something is fatally corrupted. Pretty much everything that can access the drive will not work