Question External enclosure required for an M.2 SSD that has a heatsink on it ?

Jul 22, 2024
I was given a Samsung 990 Pro M.2 SSD that has a heatsink on it. Does anyone know which enclosure this will fit in?

I tried several from Amazon but the M.2 SSD is too big for the enclosure. I can't take the heatsink off w/o damaging the M.2 SSD.

Thanks
AG

Silas Sanchez

Proper
Feb 2, 2024
Problem is many of the enclosures are garbage with generic poor fit and horrible heatpads that dont fit well, so their perf will be worse than a specific designed heatsink. And further, due to such poor efficiency of passive cooling esp with the virtually zero sized fins, the units will throttle badly-usually at 70c max, compare this to inside a good case where there is a breeze acting on the well secured/good contact heatsink, that keeps them cool.

Jul 22, 2024
Problem is many of the enclosures are garbage with generic poor fit and horrible heatpads that dont fit well, so their perf will be worse than a specific designed heatsink. And further, due to such poor efficiency of passive cooling esp with the virtually zero sized fins, the units will throttle badly-usually at 70c max, compare this to inside a good case where there is a breeze acting on the well secured/good contact heatsink, that keeps them cool.
I am not sure why he got the geatsink version. I think his laptop, a XPS abt 4 year old had a heatsink on the m.2 he was replacing.