External Enclosure works in XP but not in Windows 7

Jibu

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Hi Everyone,

I had built a new system a while back with Windows 7 64-bit edition installed. I used to use XP 32-bit on my old PC, and backed up my files with an external 2.5" hard drive (w/ "Moving Star" enclosure). My issue is: the external hard drive is recognized on my old PC but when I plug the USB plugs into the new computer, it is not recognized. Furthermore, it gives off a constant clicking noise (about 2 clicks/second). This sound/issue is still not seen in the old PC, which still works fine with this hard drive. I've searched the forums for a similar issue, but have not found it/or at least a solution to the problem. Thanks in advance to any advice!

foxy_roxy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I would recommend obtaining the most current chipset drivers for your motherboard. Once you have resolved the problem with the USB hub drivers Windows 7 RC may/will recognize your external USB drive.

Hope this helps :)

jaffa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
Hi Jibu,

The clicking sound you can hear i would assume is the drive attempting to spin up but is unable draw enough power from the USB port. Hence it never spins up, and as such is not recognised by Win7 when you plug it in to that computer.

This is fairly rare on new computers as almost all computers with USB2 supply enough power on the port.

Are you using a port on the backplate of the motherboard, or one on the front/top of the the case (which runs off a USB header) ??

Can you tell me which motherboard you are using?

Jaffa

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
have you tried plugging in the "power" usb head first, then the actual data head? Its happened to me before on some computers that an external 2.5" drive wouldn't detect properly if i didn't plug the cable in in the right order.

Jibu

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Hi Jaffa,

I tried it on both the front and rear connectors, which same issue result occurring both times.

Jibu

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Hi pinaplex,

I did plug in the power usb first, but got the same results either way. Thanks for your suggestion though. I am still having this issue, though...

ShiftyEYE

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Jibu,

I'm having the exact same problem. My Seagate 500G FreeAgent MSeries lights up but only clicks and is not being recognized by Win7.

Did you ever resolve your issue, if so, any thoughts on my next step?

Thanks