external gpu instead of dead one?

Jul 31, 2018
Hello, i have a dell inspiron 3558 i5 5200u cpu and nvidia geforce 920m gpu , in short , my gpu seems to be dead and im recently working on intel hd 5500 , so i was thinking if i could buy external gpu like gtx 760 , so my question is will the external gpu work the EXACT SAME as the in board one? if not then what would it cost to replace a mobo for dell inspiron 3558 .

thanks

Solution
Ebay has motherboards starting at around $100, but pretty much every place that carries them is going to be AS IS or buyer beware. And there will be compatible models without the GPU or perhaps a faster CPU, so you could upgrade that way as well.

Installation is another matter, if you are willing to do it yourself it would just be your time plus the cost of the motherboard. A service center is going to charge you a few hours of labor, so several hundred total at least (but then you don't have to worry about buying a motherboard.

You have to weigh that against the convenience of just buying a new or used laptop.

A quick look at the motherboard doesn't look like it has any connections that you could add an external GPU to. Basically...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Ebay has motherboards starting at around $100, but pretty much every place that carries them is going to be AS IS or buyer beware. And there will be compatible models without the GPU or perhaps a faster CPU, so you could upgrade that way as well.

Installation is another matter, if you are willing to do it yourself it would just be your time plus the cost of the motherboard. A service center is going to charge you a few hours of labor, so several hundred total at least (but then you don't have to worry about buying a motherboard.

You have to weigh that against the convenience of just buying a new or used laptop.

A quick look at the motherboard doesn't look like it has any connections that you could add an external GPU to. Basically need a PCIe slot (M.2, or like a wifi add-on port.) External GPU mods are cumbersome anyway. Exposed wires, drilling holes in the chassis.

More expensive computers with thunderbolt or even USB-C with PCIe, etc, make external GPUs a possibility. Still not entirely desirable.

Solution