External Hard Drive Enclosure not working

abku1980

Prominent
May 3, 2017
I removed the hard drive (Hitachi gm6935) from a dell latitude c640. I used a 2.5"Pata to USB 2.0 enclosure. when i connect it to my windows 10 laptop it does not appear, checked device manager. the light of the enclosure comes on and the hard drive makes a noise. Any advice please

the enclosure works with another hard drive

Solution
Regarding " the laptop does not work, does not switch on to check it."

Will the laptop switch on if the enclosure is not connected?

Check the drive boot order. Could be that USB is first and failing when the enclosue is connected. But then, for some reason, the laptop is not able to boot to its new drive: i.e., the drive you installed to replace the PATA drive.

Ralston18

Titan
What do you see if you go into Disk Management?

Also make sure that you are connecting with a known working USB cable.

Does the enclosure include a separate power supply?

Some of those enclosures are made very cheaply and may not be up to the task without addiitonal power beyond USB.

abku1980

Prominent
May 3, 2017

thank you for your reply

There are no changes to the device management, shows the same when not connected.
the enclosure does not have a section for power supply

the hard drive has 44 pins which connects to enclosure, 4 pins which are not connected to anytging

Ralston18

Titan

abku1980

Prominent
May 3, 2017

the enclosure details is as follows
Model: CH-DC-2520PD
Name: USB2.0 to 2.5" PATA external enclosure
Interface: USB2.0
Dimension: L 120 X W 75 X H 12MM
HDD Support: 2.5" PATA HDD

see https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DEZ8WP2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ralston18

Titan
Enclosure works with another drive - good. Is the drive comparable? Did you use the same connection cables?

If you did use the same cables, the problem may be with the Hitachi drive.

Any chance that you can return the Hitachi drive to the original laptop and run drive diagnostics?

abku1980

Prominent
May 3, 2017

same cables. the laptop does not work, does not switch on to check it.

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding " the laptop does not work, does not switch on to check it."

Will the laptop switch on if the enclosure is not connected?

Check the drive boot order. Could be that USB is first and failing when the enclosue is connected. But then, for some reason, the laptop is not able to boot to its new drive: i.e., the drive you installed to replace the PATA drive.

Solution