[SOLVED] External Hard drive freezes every program on computer when plugged

therealnetfelix

Prominent
Aug 25, 2020
Hello everyone i have a problem that upsets me a lot and don't know what to do so i came to this website to see if someone could help me. so one day i was recording with mirilis action on my computer and i got a blue screen that i already had before. then my computer restarted and on my motherboard there was something saying repairing external usb hard drive, i was scared that they would format my stuff so i force quitted my computer. and then when i try to pluggin my usb and load in file explorer it freezes the page and freezes every other program i use i can't even perform disk check on cmd. i tried plugging it on my school's computer and the same problem occured and now i don't know what to do i search all over the internet for problems like mine but nobody seems to have the same problem. i also tried to perform sfc because i have seen that someone that fixes the problem. butr now i don't know what to do i don't want to put my hard drive to trash and lose all my files can please someone help me.

Solution
Hello everyone i have a problem that upsets me a lot and don't know what to do so i came to this website to see if someone could help me. so one day i was recording with mirilis action on my computer and i got a blue screen that i already had before. then my computer restarted and on my motherboard there was something saying repairing external usb hard drive, i was scared that they would format my stuff so i force quitted my computer. and then when i try to pluggin my usb and load in file explorer it freezes the page and freezes every other program i use i can't even perform disk check on cmd. i tried plugging it on my school's computer and the same problem occured and now i don't know what to do i search all over the internet for...

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
One of the people I know had a dead/not functioning laptop HDD. I tried to use it as an external drive using USB adapter but it freezes the whole computer. But everything is good as soon as I unplug it. I guess your HDD is also dead/not properly functioning anymore.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hello everyone i have a problem that upsets me a lot and don't know what to do so i came to this website to see if someone could help me. so one day i was recording with mirilis action on my computer and i got a blue screen that i already had before. then my computer restarted and on my motherboard there was something saying repairing external usb hard drive, i was scared that they would format my stuff so i force quitted my computer. and then when i try to pluggin my usb and load in file explorer it freezes the page and freezes every other program i use i can't even perform disk check on cmd. i tried plugging it on my school's computer and the same problem occured and now i don't know what to do i search all over the internet for problems like mine but nobody seems to have the same problem. i also tried to perform sfc because i have seen that someone that fixes the problem. butr now i don't know what to do i don't want to put my hard drive to trash and lose all my files can please someone help me.

Those are signs of a failing external hard drive. Force quitting while it was trying to read likely made everything worse.

When you plug it in, does the PC at least see the drive before you try and open it? Are you able to run a SMART test?

I'll be honest though, I'm not very optimistic about this drive being usable again. Hopefully you made backups of your important files (it's a basic part of PC upkeep).

Solution