External Hard Drive Issues with Xbox One??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

The Poop Nuke

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
I recently received a 4tb External Hard Drive. It is a western digital My Book. As soon as I got it, I hooked it up to my Xbox One because I was low on space. I was expecting to have a partitions option while formatting it. To my surprise, it didn't. After I formatted it, I did some research only to find that partitioning is not on option on my Xbox One. This didn't bother me much because I was just going to use it on my computer instead. I plugged it into my computer to format it and I found that it was not detecting it as an Disk Drive and the only place I could find it was in Devices and Printers. I just need to format it so it will be usable with my PC. Any Ideas?

Solution
Hey The Poop Nuke. Sorry to hear you're having such issues with your drive. So you can't see it in Disk Management as well? I'd suggest that you connect it to another computer to see if the same thing happens again and if not - reformat it via Disk Management. Another thing which you could try is to uninstall it from Device Manager and connect it again so that Windows installs the drivers again.
If non of this work, try the third method from this thread here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/external-hdd-visible-in-devices-and-printers-but/4e550174-511c-46ab-be55-6cfb0ce54e63

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

SolutionON

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
Nothing ever worked for me. Formatting the drive as NTFS or FAT32, leaving it without partitions, deleting the volume, using DISKPART, absolutely nothing ever worked. Regardless of what I've tried, nothing helped, my external HDD would never show up as External Storage for games and apps.

Finally I found this guy's channel and he posted a video about this problem being caused by weird USB 3.0 cables being supplied with WD My Passport drives. I am sure some other manufacturers use the same. It works on PC and Mac, but when connected to Xbox there is something dodgy about it and how it communicates with Xbox One. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb6WxoGjGpo