External hard drive no longer working

jjorgensen164

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
I have a 320GB Iomega External Hard Drive, and it has been working for two years. I have used up approximately 50GB, and it just crashed. The light works, but the fan doesn't anymore. It just makes 4 high pitch notes that sound like they are from a piezo buzzer. If this doesn't work again, I am losing all of my school work and travel photos! I am also not paying $5 just to talk to someone on the link from the iomega website.

Solution
Is there any clicking sound? If you pick it up does it feel like it is spinning?

You might be able to crack it open, take out the drive, and connect it directly to a SATA/IDE connector inside of the PC
Hi there jjorgensen164,

That is really unpleasant. :(

If the data is extremely important, your safest bet would be to contact a data recovery company.
Apart from that, you can try a couple of simple things. Just grab a different USB cable and see if that would make any difference. Also, you can attach it to another port.

I would agree with drtweak. If you don't really want to go with the data recovery company option, you could consider attaching the HDD internally. Keep in mind that this will void the warranty, if under any.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)