external hard drive not detected!! help

Aug 23, 2018
hello,

i recently built myself a brand new pc because before that, i used an old laptop that was not the best. for my laptop, i had a 1tb portable/external hard drive (wd elements) that i used for any additional storage i needed alongside, files i use for video editing and photoshop. i had also decided to use this hard drive to transfer my files from my laptop to my new pc because i wanted to keep them.

although, when i connect the usb of my hard drive to my new pc, it does not get detected what so ever. it doesnt appear in the device manager or even disk management. the led on the hard drive lights up, though. i have tried to do pretty much every solution i have came across but, i still have no luck.

i know for sure that my all my usb ports in my computer are not broken because they detect anything except, the hard drive. i also know that my hard drive is not broken because it functions normally on my old laptop and other computers.

i really don’t want to lose everything on it and i hope someone will be able to help me with this problem!!

thanks.

update: i missed 2 usb ports at the top (my mistake!!) and my external hard drive now works on my new pc :)

Solution
Have you tried all the ports on the new machine?

If so, and it still doesn't work...it may just be easier to plug the external drive into a machine that it does work on and transfer the files to a USB stick and do it that way.

It may be some glitch that you jerk around with for a very long time and never find a solution.
Have you tried all the ports on the new machine?

If so, and it still doesn't work...it may just be easier to plug the external drive into a machine that it does work on and transfer the files to a USB stick and do it that way.

It may be some glitch that you jerk around with for a very long time and never find a solution.

Solution