External hard drive shows "no media" in disk management window, can't open it

Mar 6, 2018
I have the same problem you have addressed in a previous thread. You said that one could take the external drive apart and connect it directly to the computer, but any data should be backed up first. How do I do that if I can't access my external drive? I do have information I really don't want to lose on it. This drive doesn't show up under the listing of disk drives on my computer, but does show up under Disk Management. But there seems no way to get into it.

The idea of making backups is to make them long before a drive shows any sign of trouble, not when you get to the stage of having to deal with it 'cos it's not working - - lol - :sarcastic:

Your drive has most likely bitten the dust mate - - too late for any talk of backups or trying to revive it.

If you can afford to send it to a professional data recovery service, that's the way to proceed.

Mar 6, 2018

The whole problem was that this was the backup. So now I have to backup my backup? Do I need to backup that one too? Where does it end?! I feel like going back to floppies. :(

OK, lesson learned, don't trust any media. I did look at posts about WD external drives and there are many others who have had them die within 1 or 2 years. So I'll try another brand and keep backing up my backup. :) Luckily this wasn't catastrophic.

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
What happened to you kinda sorta happened to me some time ago; that is why I have two usb external hard-drives for each computer. Each ext HD contains two Cs, 1 D, 1 System Reserved. I average about two backup sessions monthly or a little more often.