[SOLVED] External Hard Drive Swap

Ender11235

Commendable
Feb 27, 2019
Hi guys

I have a 500gb Hitachi Touro external hard drive i fine useless these days. I would like to swap out the drive for something larger.
My question is what limits the drive capacity I can put in it. Ive noticed external enclosures you can buy have a limit to the drive capacity so I assume it has something to do with the sata/usb interface.
Looking to put a 2tb in it minimum.

thx

Solution
Shouldn't matter I would think.

Plenty of 1-16 TB external enclosures still using USB 3.0, and SATA is way faster than any hard drive. USB, not so much, depends on the spec.

Only possible concern would be the thickness of the drive or power requirements. Internal connectors and cable length.

Probably cheaper to buy another external drive rather than trying swap in a new one. Or getting a new empty enclosure and buying the drive of your choice.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Shouldn't matter I would think.

Plenty of 1-16 TB external enclosures still using USB 3.0, and SATA is way faster than any hard drive. USB, not so much, depends on the spec.

Only possible concern would be the thickness of the drive or power requirements. Internal connectors and cable length.

Probably cheaper to buy another external drive rather than trying swap in a new one. Or getting a new empty enclosure and buying the drive of your choice.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Hi guys

I have a 500gb Hitachi Touro external hard drive i fine useless these days. I would like to swap out the drive for something larger.
My question is what limits the drive capacity I can put in it. Ive noticed external enclosures you can buy have a limit to the drive capacity so I assume it has something to do with the sata/usb interface.

thx
Just buy another external that has its own case.Won't be any more expensive than a large bare drive.

2TB external - $60
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B07CRG94G3

2TB internal - $55
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-Drive-3-5-Inch/dp/B07H2RR55Q

Hi guys

thx
I suggest you get an external USB 3.0 drive or an USB 3.0 drive enclosure, since the Hitachi Touro might not support disks larger than 1TB.
2TB external HDD are inexpensive and could cost less than purchasing just the HDD.
You could get an USB 3.0 enclosure for less than $10 that supports larger capacity and has higher transfer speed.

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
Hi guys

thx
If it is SATA and you are not running Windows XP or earlier then the drive capacity limits will not apply unless there is some kind of weird hardware limitation in the caddy.

Generally USB drive caddies will state the largest capacity available when it came to market.

I have seen identical caddies where they have stuck a sticker on the box that increases the capacity that can be used, and likewise used old caddies with drives 2x the size of what the box says. Essentially this is a marketing thing.

I suggest you get an external USB 3.0 drive or an USB 3.0 drive enclosure, since the Hitachi Touro might not support disks larger than 1TB.
2TB external HDD are inexpensive and could cost less than purchasing just the HDD.
You could get an USB 3.0 enclosure for less than $10 that supports larger capacity and has higher transfer speed.
What he said...

TRENDING THREADS