External hard drive transfer speeds problems

BCJ1989

Reputable
Nov 1, 2016
The problem: Slow transfer speeds varying from 10 mb/s to 0 and anywhere in between along with when trying to watch a video or listen to a song from the external it stops so often you just can't listen. Obv this second issue is caused by the first.

The cause: Not being present in the moment and adjusting the USB cable while transferring a file. I was transferring a file when I noticed that the USB cable was a little loose and w/o thinking I adjusted it while transferring a file sense then slow transfer speeds.

I am wondering how to fix this issue, if it is fixable, or any other information regarding this is very much appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
Could be that the connector is only making proper contact when not fully inserted. However that makes the connection loose and the problem occurs.

Start by trying another USB cable. If the current cable is not snug and tight then there will be data transfer errors and continual resends. Try using the existing cable somewhere else as a test. See if the problem follows the cable.

Work with the cable(s) first and try to determine if it is indeed a poor connection. And bear in mind that the plug on the USB cable itself may be the problem - there are four wires used and perhaps some internal electrical connection between cable wires and the plug is not as it should be.

Experiment a bit and see if you identify some constant that you can easily replicate.

Is the external hard drive one of those cases where you installed your own physical drive? Could be a damaged USB port on the case as well. Take a close look at the port for any damage or corrosion. Could be just some dust bunnie in the way of things.....

BCJ1989

Reputable
Nov 1, 2016

BCJ1989

Reputable
Nov 1, 2016
It is a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 2TB. No dust bunnies in the way. I believe the cable is fine as the problem did not exist until I unplugged it by accident while transferring data.

Ralston18

Titan
If it was a simple "unplug" then maybe nothing (cable, plug, port) was damaged. I.e., no physical damage involved.

However there may have been some disk corruption as a result.

Run Seagate's diagnostic tool on the GoFlex and see if the tool finds any problems.

BCJ1989

Reputable
Nov 1, 2016

I assume you mean Seatools program and what test do you want the results of?

Sorry if you see this twice I am new to the site so I am figuring out which is best/most efficient way to communicate. Maybe that will be different depending on person...

The short drive self test passed, no errors.