External Hard drive turned to RAW how to convert to NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hashiya Mendis

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Hey guys, So today I was using my external hard drive and it suddenly got really slow. So I safely removed the hdd and plugged it back in again. When I plugged it in it didnt open up and i could access any of the files. When I checked my disk management it showed that it turned in a RAW format. When I try to format it keeps saying the format was unsuccessful Please let me know if I can convert the External Hard back to NTFS and use it and if so how ?
Thanks!

Solution
If you get the error message: "You need to format the disk in drive G: before you can use it"
or "The volume does not contain a recognized file system" then you need to:

> Google: EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional 8.6 Incl. Serial [ATOM]

> Download | Install | Activate | Choose the Partition Drive You want to recover.

> Follow The EaseUS Data Recovery Instructions.

> Store your recovered files on a different hard drive. DO NOT STORE FILES ON THE DAMAGED ONE!

> After full-recovery Format the damaged external hard drive.

> Locate and copy all your restored files back to your external hard drive.

NB: FORMATTING YOUR EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE WILL RESTORE YOUR "Bootmgr" AND MAKE YOUR HARD DRIVE READABLE AGAIN. YOU CANNOT SEE OR...
Try this program.. it can repair the HDD file system, or recover your data after which you can reformat the HDD. Active Partition Recovery is a paid program and it may detect the problem and files in the HDD but it may not recover them withoug a license, I recommend it because it can easily determine if the HDD is repairable* and the files in the recoverable**, and you can use another freeware program of the type to complete the job, depending on the severy of the issue.... Google for Partition Recovery Programs.

Active Partition Recovery.
http://www.partition-recovery.com/download.html

* The boot sector or partition table may have to be repaired.
** With the right tool, files can be recovered even without repairing the issue, or even after a format.. depending again on the damage.
After file recovery is done, without a HDD repair, you can repair it with a Low Level Format Tool, a HDD wiper, or with a tool named Flobo Disk Repair which seems to do a better job in restoring HDDs.

It's also possible the HDD may have suffered permanent damage.. If the software is not able to recover files, try the HDD repair tools. If the HDD is still good it will be repaired, and if it's not, every attempt to repair and recover will fail.

Partition Recovery Programs
https://www.google.com/search?hl=es-419&source=hp&q=partition+recovery+software+free&gbv=2&oq=partition+recovery+programs&gs_l=heirloom-hp.1.2.0i19j0i22i30i19l9.27297.27297.0.34414.1.1.0.0.0.0.135.135.0j1.1.0....0...1ac..34.heirloom-hp..0.1.134.8snpoMWdUWY

Hashiya Mendis

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

Hey thanks for the reply ! At this point I am not worried about recovering my data but I want to get my Hard drive to work. I downloaded the software you recommended but I have no idea how to repair the actual hard drive.

Hashiya Mendis

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

I tried using Easeus and I can see my files through ease us. But I just want to format and re use my hard drive. How can I do this ?

Download Flobo Hard Disk Repair... it should repair any problems it has. You apparently have already used the Windows Disk Management and now Minitool so a regular format has not worked and you probably need some software that will repair it, not just format it... Something like a Low Level format tool but Flobo does even better.

http://flobo-hard-disk-repair.archivospc.com/

Which, Flobo?... It's not. I have used it several times.. also the Flobo floppy disk repair and I can assure you it's a legitimate tool. You should scan the computer you tried it on. That may be what's infected. You could instead use the Low Level Format tool or a HD wiper/scrubber... the type of software will rebuild the disk surface filling it with 0's, or 1's and 0's restoring normal HD functionality. That's if the HDD is still good, but they way you describe how it failed, it's likely to be still good. In my experience, they start failing gradually, or give warning signs of imminent failure, they don't fail from one minute to the next.

On the other hand, if you formatted it and that did not restore it,... maybe you did the quick format?.. If so you need to do a slow format and if still nothing, try the mentioned repair tool(s).

Peter Jones_3

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
If you get the error message: "You need to format the disk in drive G: before you can use it"
or "The volume does not contain a recognized file system" then you need to:

> Google: EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional 8.6 Incl. Serial [ATOM]

> Download | Install | Activate | Choose the Partition Drive You want to recover.

> Follow The EaseUS Data Recovery Instructions.

> Store your recovered files on a different hard drive. DO NOT STORE FILES ON THE DAMAGED ONE!

> After full-recovery Format the damaged external hard drive.

> Locate and copy all your restored files back to your external hard drive.

NB: FORMATTING YOUR EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE WILL RESTORE YOUR "Bootmgr" AND MAKE YOUR HARD DRIVE READABLE AGAIN. YOU CANNOT SEE OR LOCATE YOUR FILES WITHOUT A RECOVERY SOFTWARE.

REMEMBER: FORMAT YOUR HARD DRIVE ONLY WHEN YOU HAVE MADE A FULL RECOVERY OF YOUR IMPORTANT FILES!!!

This worked for me, hope it will work for you!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.