[SOLVED] External Harddrive does not show up - ONLY after reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2019
Hello

So I've been struggling with this pain in the neck of an issue with my external hard drives. Whenever I plug them they're not listed as usual. The icon in the tray appears, but it doesn't have a drive letter. It gives me the option to eject, but it won't do it.

I have checked in Disk management if it's hiding, but it's not either.

However when I reboot the computer it just hangs so I have to force shut it down with the power button. I boot it again (with the external hdd plugged in) it does show up.

My system is Windows 10 Home. All Other usb devices works, from mice, keyboard and headset.

Solution
What's system specs? Desktop or laptop?

What is the external drive's make and model?

When system reboots (with the drive) and the drive shows in Disk Management assign it a proper letter manually. One letter after the last drive you have, HDD and optical. So if last drive letter is F assign the external drive's letter as G and save.

See if it appears next if you plug it in after that.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador

When system reboots (with the drive) and the drive shows in Disk Management assign it a proper letter manually. One letter after the last drive you have, HDD and optical. So if last drive letter is F assign the external drive's letter as G and save.

Solution
Jun 12, 2019

Reactions: Satan-IR
Status
Not open for further replies.