Question External HD not showing up in Disk Managment

Sep 29, 2022
Greetings,

I have a toshiba SCSI Disk from my old Dell laptop. Nothing was wrong with it when removed from the laptop 3 years ago. I recently purchased a SATA to USB adapter in order to view and retrieve some old videos from it (using my present Dell which has a Samsung SSD)

The first time I hooked the Toshiba Disk up to my current laptop it appeared in Disk Management but I couldnt access anything. However in subsequent attempts I cannot get it to show up there although it appears as Drive D: in windows and it is showing correctly in Device Manager. So it appears the communication with Windows is Ok (although I can not populate information about the disk properties from either place)

Any data/HDD recovery software must find the disk in disk management so I cant get anywhere with those. When plugged in, windows gives the usb connected sound alert and the HDD light turns on and I can hear the HDD spinning. The eject option is there in the system tray but no drive is assigned to the external HDD (and I can’t pull up this info in Properties). Plugging the old drive in really slows up everything else on my computer. All kinds of things start going amiss when the drive is hooked up. Unplugging the disk I get the message “a device which does not exist was specified” and everything speeds back up to normal. Also, windbg preview created a partition and I have a bunch of MDMP files (I guess from the drive) - on my local disk C:. Windbg is too much for my current competence and I have no desire to debug anything. I just want to retrieve some old videos.

I’m pretty basic skill level with this but I follow instructions well. Can anyone help me access my old drive?

The first time I hooked the Toshiba Disk up to my current laptop it appeared in Disk Management but I couldnt access anything.
This is too vague, need more specific description than "couldnt access anything".

Plugging the old drive in really slows up everything else on my computer.
This has happens to me also, when a hdd was getting defected and Windows wasn't able to communicate.

To be honest, if you have no backup, I suggest you turn to a professional company that may retrieve the files. You can of course pull the hdd out from the enclosure and try to put it within a desktop computer, but it also may cause additional damage and render it virtually impossible to recover anything from that drive.

Greetings,

I have a toshiba SCSI Disk from my old Dell laptop. Nothing was wrong with it when removed from the laptop 3 years ago. I recently purchased a SATA to USB adapter in order to view and retrieve some old videos from it (using my present Dell which has a Samsung SSD)

The first time I hooked the Toshiba Disk up to my current laptop it appeared in Disk Management but I couldnt access anything. However in subsequent attempts I cannot get it to show up there although it appears as Drive D: in windows and it is showing correctly in Device Manager. So it appears the communication with Windows is Ok (although I can not populate information about the disk properties from either place)

Any data/HDD recovery software must find the disk in disk management so I cant get anywhere with those. When plugged in, windows gives the usb connected sound alert and the HDD light turns on and I can hear the HDD spinning. The eject option is there in the system tray but no drive is assigned to the external HDD (and I can’t pull up this info in Properties). Plugging the old drive in really slows up everything else on my computer. All kinds of things start going amiss when the drive is hooked up. Unplugging the disk I get the message “a device which does not exist was specified” and everything speeds back up to normal. Also, windbg preview created a partition and I have a bunch of MDMP files (I guess from the drive) - on my local disk C:. Windbg is too much for my current competence and I have no desire to debug anything. I just want to retrieve some old videos.

I’m pretty basic skill level with this but I follow instructions well. Can anyone help me access my old drive?
Most usb ports don't provide enough power for a motorized hdd drive, so that's probably why its not connecting. You may be able to access it with a powered usb hub or it would be better with a powered dock. Hopefully your initial failures haven't damaged the file system to the point where you need expensive data recovery. But you won't know until its connected to a dock with adequate power for a motorized device.

Sep 29, 2022
"couldn't access anything ... On the drive" my apologies.

Also I have power to the adaptor.
The adaptor is a:
Wavlink USB3.0 to SATA 3 Hard Drive Cable Adapter, SATA to USB A 5Gbps Adapter Cable, External Hard Drive

USAFRet

Titan