External HDD disconnects sometimes and makes every usb port unavailable

GeKKo525

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
Hey!

I have a Maxtor M3 3.0 2TB external HDD. For some reason while I'm copying stuff from/onto it it disconnects and also shuts down my mouse (HDD is in 3.0 port and mouse is in 2.0) sometimes then after a few seconds both of them reconnect.

Windows 10, 64bit on an Asus GL552VW laptop.

USB selective suspend is turned off. Don't know what else could I try.

Solution
Hey there, GeKKo525.

It sounds more like a problem with the USB ports rather than one with the HDD, but one can never be too careful. So go ahead and backup any important data which you might have on that drive, while using a different computer. This way you'd be able to see if the same thing happens again. You might also want to try a different USB cable as well.
As for the USB ports, try updating or at least reinstalling the chipset driver and the USB controller driver for the laptop, to see if that fixes things up.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD
Hey there, GeKKo525.

It sounds more like a problem with the USB ports rather than one with the HDD, but one can never be too careful. So go ahead and backup any important data which you might have on that drive, while using a different computer. This way you'd be able to see if the same thing happens again. You might also want to try a different USB cable as well.
As for the USB ports, try updating or at least reinstalling the chipset driver and the USB controller driver for the laptop, to see if that fixes things up.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Solution