Question External HDD Keeps on disconnecting when transferring large files

JeremyLoh

Reputable
Mar 21, 2016
Hi,

I'm facing this issue whereby when I transfer large files over from my external HDD, it keeps on getting disconnected. In fact sometimes, it seems like the entire usb freezes (ie. my mouse and keyboard doesn't work for about 10 seconds).

This seem to only happen with my desktop using a ASrock b450m pro4 m/b. With my work laptop, I don't face this issue.

I've used an older usb 2.0 external harddisk on my desktop and i don't seem to face this issue.

I've tried to change the power settings including disabling the power management on the usb roots and usb hubs in the device manager and the advanced power management.

I've also tried different (back and front) usb ports - same issues and the HDD health check by CrystalDiskInfo shows a good health.

The only thing I've not done yet is to switch off USB Legacy which I'm not sure how to do that on my M/B. Could this be the root cause? Any one knows how to disable this on my M/B?

Thanks.

JeremyLoh

Reputable
Mar 21, 2016
Some drives' circuitry cannot sustain long transfers at USB 3.0 speeds...; you can try the drive in another computer w/ USB 3.0 to confirm it is the drive, or, simply try the drive in a slower USB 2.0 port...

thanks mdd1963 for responding.

So, on my work laptop, copying using a USB 3 does not give me any problems. However, on my desktop, the USB 3 seems to be giving me this problem. I've tried the USB 2.0 port on my desktop, doens't seem to be disconnecting either. Seems like it's the USB 3 on my M/B.

Hi,

does the USB drive do the same thing on another computer?
thanks seagate_surfer for responding.

Nope. Works absolutely fine on my work laptop.

Hi,

we recommend doing some basic troubleshooting on the drive, like changing the port, cable and trying it on a different computer.

In addition, could you test the drive with some diagnostic software? :)

Changing port to a USB 3 yields the same result. USB 2 on the other hand doesn't seem to be giving me that issue. Changing cables yields teh same issue.

As mentioned, CrystalDiskInfo gives me a good status on my health.

JeremyLoh

Reputable
Mar 21, 2016
Ok. looks like it's the HDD cable. I managed to use another cable and it seems to be working fine.

Weird thing though is that if I use my 'faulty' cable on other computers, it works just fine. Anyway, looks like I should just get a new cable.

Thanks for all your suggestions / help.

Glad you got it sorted out. Remember to have a good back up plan in place for the future.

Basically you want:

3 copies of any data you don't want to lose.
2 different mediums it's stored on (so 2 different drives in your computer, for
example).
1 copy kept offsite, to prevent against disaster.