[SOLVED] External HDD shows incorrect capacity

Jan 13, 2020
Hi, I have external HDD Samsung HM160HC SATA in a closure. I connect it to PC using USB port. Somehow I have formatted it to 32Gb . I have tried to format to get full capacity of 160Gb without success. I have deleted partitions, created new partitions in HTFS but still capacity does not change. I have EASEUS partition master free which I have been using.
I have looked online for tools but nothing seems to help me.
Thank you.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi, I have external HDD Samsung HM160HC SATA in a closure. I connect it to PC using USB port. Somehow I have formatted it to 32Gb . I have tried to format to get full capacity of 160Gb without success. I have deleted partitions, created new partitions in HTFS but still capacity does not change. I have EASEUS partition master free which I have been using.
I have looked online for tools but nothing seems to help me.
Thank you.
You have to delete the volume, not just the partitions.
Reformat as NTFS.

Jan 13, 2020
I have installed DMDE and running it. Table for the external HDD disk says... logic.disk , ntfs ... 33.8gb ... BCF .. first sector 0 last sector 66027086.
I am not sure how to show table to you ?

Jan 13, 2020
I have deleted volume .. still shows free space as 31.5GB. It says disk 1 , basic, online in disk management.

Right click .. menu shows new simple volume , delete partition as options.

How do I create partition and format to 160GB.

USAFRet

Titan
I should have just said this from the beginning.

cmd or powershell:

Diskpart

list disk
select disk * (where * is the actual drive you want to work with)
clean all
create partition
format NTFS
assign letter=d (or whatever drive letter you want. Not A or B, please)

Jan 13, 2020
Hi .. I have tried as suggested in powershell using DISKPART.

No luck. Still shows 31GB when I have formatted in NTFS. I set primary single partition.

I downloaded testdisk to check structure of disk.

It shows CHS as 4111, 140 , 61 . This equates to 32gb.
Size in sector is shown as 66050048.

Do I need to change CHS settings to get full capacity. I am new to this and dont want to do something that totally messes up the disk.

Jan 13, 2020
I have downloaded crystaldisk and installed. Does not recognize the disk connected to USB. Only show info on internal disk.

DMDE shows primary partition, NTFS(07), 33.8gb, Indicators EBCF, first sector 2048, last sector 66052095.

What is BTW ?

BTW = by the way

It's a hangover from my Usenet days. Sorry.

I'm trying to determine whether your drive's capacity has somehow been reduced via a HPA (Host Protected Area). The DMDE information that you have reported is the info for a particular partition. We want the info for the entire drive.

For example …

MaYq8qm.jpg

In the Partitions window we see "Drive 0 - 932GiB", first sector = 0, last sector = 1953525167. That's the entire drive.

Further down, we see the individual partitions, eg Basic data partition, first sector = 2048, last sector = 1023999.

Do you understand now?

Jan 13, 2020
Hi
I have looked at partitions in DMDE . It show one partition only.
It says on lines :
line 1 - Drive 1 - 31.5GiB USB , Primary F. system MBR , size 31.5GiB ,
indicator T , first sector 0, last sector 66 055 243
line 2 - partition Primary, f. System NTFS (07), size 31.5GiB, indicators
EBCF, first sector 2048, last sector 66 052 095

No other partitions.

Solution