[SOLVED] External Monitor is running on dGPU while native on iGPU on laptop.

Elros

Reputable
BANNED
Dec 16, 2020
Hello.

Both GPUs are used for each screen. Radeon vega 10 should be capable of running multiple screens.

It's a problem because I have overclocked the dGPU and set a custom fan speed rate, wouldn't want to force it for low taxing usage.

I have checked Radeon software and couldn't find anything.
I did set the web browser and other text documents to run only on igpu from display settings in windows, however, it didn't change anything.

Don't think HDMI only works for dGPU, because, when I make the external monitor the main screen and disable the native laptop screen, then the laptop treats the external one as it's native and runs it on iGPU....

How can I solve this problem?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
AMD gave control of the switchable graphics to windows. I'm not sure which applications you need to set to use the iGPU but its done thru windows graphic options as shown here :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR_IEoJ_zK8

I'll also move this thread to our Laptop Tech Support thread since this isn't really an issue with the Displays. Hopefully those user will be able to help further.

Elros

Reputable
BANNED
Dec 16, 2020
I'm confused. Vega 10 is the built-in GPU. Do you have another one installed?

Is this a laptop? I'm assuming it is but it could be a small form factor pc...

Yes, I have tried to mention it being a laptop twice just to prevent some misunderstanding.
Yeap. I am trying to prevent overclocked laptop dGPU solely running just to power up a 13.3" monitor where I only read text or emails, nothing else. It just doesn't make sense.
I have used a 4k monitor on intel 520 for many years, there is no way vega 10 can't handle two monitors, I can play AAA games on it, it is a very capable built-in gpu.

Elros

Reputable
BANNED
Dec 16, 2020
Which exact laptop (model#) do you have and which OS are you running on this?
I ask about the OS because windows 10 will divert some processing to your GPU to handle because it is better at some things than the CPU is.

It's windows 10.
MSI Alpha 15. It's with Ryzen7 3750H(RX Vega 10iGPU), RX5500MdGPU, 16GB Ram, and 512 NVME2.0 SSD.
But the system never using a dedicated GPU otherwise. It only activates it when two monitors are attached. When only one monitor is running at the moment, then only vega GPU runs. For example, I attach my TV to my laptop, which is 4k, and both gpu's working at the moment, as soon as I turn off the laptop screen and set on windows10 to run only on the external screen, then only vega GPU works.
MSI allows you to unlock bios, where there is much stuff that I totally don't understand but might be a solution there?

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
AMD gave control of the switchable graphics to windows. I'm not sure which applications you need to set to use the iGPU but its done thru windows graphic options as shown here :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR_IEoJ_zK8

I'll also move this thread to our Laptop Tech Support thread since this isn't really an issue with the Displays. Hopefully those user will be able to help further.

Solution