Question External monitor not recognized on laptop

Oct 30, 2019
I'm having a bit of trouble connecting my Samsung S24D300H monitor to my laptop through HDMI (HDMI-HDMI). The monitor works just fine with my desktop computer (HDMI-HDMI) using the same cable.

When the monitor is connected the "Check Signal Cable" goes away but Windows does not recognize the monitor and says I don't have second monitor and the screens LCD panel shuts off. As soon as u remove the cable the screen wakes up and stars displaying the "Check Signal Cable".

The on-board graphics are Intel HD Graphics 630 (i7-7700HQ).

EDIT; Also tried to install the monitor drivers but that did nothing.

EDIT 2; Also to be clear the HDMI port is working just fine. I have my other monitor plugged in at the moment. The plan is to have three monitors up and running to increase my productivity.

EDIT 3; Tried another cable just to try if it could somehow be issue with it. Upgraded the latest Intel drivers just to make sure its not that (should have done sooner) and nothing. Also dug up one really old desktop comp and the monitor also works on that... What

EDIT 4; Checked the "Show hidden devices" on the Device Manager and theres only my two current active monitors. The third Samsung one is not shown.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019
I have been clueless for days now and I think I'm just gonna get another monitor. Whatever the problem is in the monitor or in the GPU for unknown reasons not supporting some odd settings it requires. Could be driver issue but that seems more unlikely.

If I find out anything useful in the future I hope to remember to keep you guys up to date to make sure nobody else has to suffer trying to figure this out.