[SOLVED] External NVMe limited to 6Gbps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infaera

Commendable
Apr 2, 2021
Laptop: Legion 7i with Thunderbolt4 Ports
NVMe: PNY CS2130 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Gen3x4
External Enclsure: ORICO 20Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, USB
Certified Cables: Thunderbolt4 / USB4/Thunderbolt3
Issue: USB4 Ports are Limited to 725MB/s(or less) Data Transfer rates (Read/Write)
It's not even reaching half that at 10Gbps, and I can't figure out why...

Attempts Made:
I have upgraded the original cable twice. Result: little increase (700->720ish)
Enabled Write Caching on the Drive. Result: No Difference
Banging My Head Against The Wall. Result: No Difference

Does anyone have any ideas?
USB-Device-Tree-View.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
TB4 ports may support USB 3.2 Gen 2x2, but it may be optional as far as I am aware. You need a USB4/TB4 compliant device for full performance. Atm, my USB 20Gbps devices don't operate at 20Gbps on my TB4 equipped enabled systems either. Only runs at up to 10Gbps over TB4...if detected at all. I get similar speeds in Windows, too.

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
TB4 ports may support USB 3.2 Gen 2x2, but it may be optional as far as I am aware. You need a USB4/TB4 compliant device for full performance. Atm, my USB 20Gbps devices don't operate at 20Gbps on my TB4 equipped enabled systems either. Only runs at up to 10Gbps over TB4...if detected at all. I get similar speeds in Windows, too.

Last edited:
Solution
It does say USB 3.10 also, presumably 3.1 Gen 2 which is USB 3.2 Gen 2 = 10 Gbps. For people who didn't think USB was confusing enough, there's USB4. Tunneled USB 3.2 (10 Gbps) with host/hub/device is always supported but USB 3.2 (20 Gbps) is optional; see here. Apologies for not checking the specification before.

You simply need a faster NVMe stick. The quoted speeds are the speeds of the electronics, not the m.2 sticks you install. Note that the specs say "Theoretically speed up to 2000MB/s" and hopefully you understand what "Theoretically" means. (Me, I have a Samsung 970 Evo Plus in a similar Sabrent enclosure and I get speeds of around 815 MB/s into and 865 MB/s out of the enclosure). You could try a Kingston KC 3000 in your enclosure and get better performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.