external power graphics cards - better?

andrepartthree

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
Apologies if this question has been asked before, I tried searching the forums but my google-fu search skills can be terrible sometimes :)

I'm noticing that some of the newer graphics cards come without the need for a 6 or 8 pin power adapter connection... one review of such a graphics card indicated that the reviewer frowns upon such cards and feels they can't get enough power from the pci interface alone.

What I'm wondering is... is the reviewer right? Is it better to avoid the graphics cards that don't require that 6 or 8 pin power connection in case they malfunction due to a lack of power? Or is this the accepted "new wave" of graphics cards that are "better designed" such that 6 or 8 pin power connections are no longer necessary?

In my case the graphics card would go into any one of two computers with a power supply ranging from 600 to 650 watts so I'm guessing power wouldn't be a problem (although of course I would look at the recommended power supply requirements for the graphics card before buying it :) ) ... The graphics cards in question would be for gaming (minimum of 4 GB video memory possibly as much as 6 to 8 GB ) .

I'm just wondering, generally speaking, if anyone knows if it's "correct" to avoid graphics cards that don't have that 6 to 8 pin power adapter requirement "to be on the safe side"? Thanks in advance to anyone who answers this :)

Solution
Technology advances and hardware becomes more power efficient. The power from the mobo has a standard. Gpu external power has standards. Gpus are designed that if they don't have enough from pcie that they come with external power. Many aftermarket models have it just for ocing and more overhead. I would suggest avoiding reviews from non reputable sources especially ones that spread misinformation based on their feelings. There's no reason to avoid something just because it uses less power but these are lower performing gpus. There isn't any you want in a gaming pc that doesn't have external power.
Technology advances and hardware becomes more power efficient. The power from the mobo has a standard. Gpu external power has standards. Gpus are designed that if they don't have enough from pcie that they come with external power. Many aftermarket models have it just for ocing and more overhead. I would suggest avoiding reviews from non reputable sources especially ones that spread misinformation based on their feelings. There's no reason to avoid something just because it uses less power but these are lower performing gpus. There isn't any you want in a gaming pc that doesn't have external power.

Solution

andrepartthree

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
Thank you so much :) .. I had a feeling the better graphics cards were the ones that needed external power but it's good to have someone confirm that :) .... will keep that in mind during Cyber Monday or any of the other various November/December sales :) ... Thanks again for your time and attention :)