Question External Powering a 3 pin fan.

Jan 25, 2023
Hello friends,

My first post here and I hope I don't ruffle feathers when I ask my question that is based of game consoles.

I am rather a simpleton when it comes to the nature of this and I've roamed the interwebs hoping to find my solution but, I get quite confused with all the jargon and techyness and complexity inherent to the field. And so many pages later I figured I'd come here. This site has helped me many times in searches but now I am left to pose my question.

I'd like to power a triple set of Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB fans to use separate of a mobo. More direct to my little project, I have a very dusty environment and having an idea for using positive and negative air pressure to prevent dust build up on my PS5 and XBOX series X.

Starting with an acrylic base from Amazon for the PS5, I've purchased a 9 pin usb motherboard male header to a single usb type a male cable for usb header connection. I also have a SATA data transfer power pack that fits nicely to the RGB hub and everything lights up nicely but not necessary. This is leaving me in need of the 3 pin power header connection. Short of making my own, is there anything I can get suggestions for to assist in my dust free console quest?

I've tagged a photo of the PS5 case, filter and my 3D printed fan enclosure which at the moment houses two usb powered computer fans that just don't deliver the level of air flow needed.

I greatly appreciate any assistance and constructive criticism offered at tom's HARDWARE.

Thx,
Bob

Hello friends,

My first post here and I hope I don't ruffle feathers when I ask my question that is based of game consoles.

I am rather a simpleton when it comes to the nature of this and I've roamed the interwebs hoping to find my solution but, I get quite confused with all the jargon and techyness and complexity inherent to the field. And so many pages later I figured I'd come here. This site has helped me many times in searches but now I am left to pose my question.

I'd like to power a triple set of Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB fans to use separate of a mobo. More direct to my little project, I have a very dusty environment and having an idea for using positive and negative air pressure to prevent dust build up on my PS5 and XBOX series X.

Starting with an acrylic base from Amazon for the PS5, I've purchased a 9 pin usb motherboard male header to a single usb type a male cable for usb header connection. I also have a SATA data transfer power pack that fits nicely to the RGB hub and everything lights up nicely but not necessary. This is leaving me in need of the 3 pin power header connection. Short of making my own, is there anything I can get suggestions for to assist in my dust free console quest?

I've tagged a photo of the PS5 case, filter and my 3D printed fan enclosure which at the moment houses two usb powered computer fans that just don't deliver the level of air flow needed.

I greatly appreciate any assistance and constructive criticism offered at tom's HARDWARE.

Thx,
Bob
Usb power is at 5v which is just barely enough to start 12v fans far from being able to run them full speed.
If you want them faster you need to provide them with up to 12v and amperage to suit combined power needs,

Reactions: SugnaGodYm
Jan 25, 2023
Thanks for the help. I've adapted an old PSU to help supply the powering needed for the fans along with a few adapters from amazon, I've gotten the power needed and iCUE is showing my fans. Closer to my dust free system.

TRENDING THREADS