[SOLVED] External Samsung SSD encryption

Aug 27, 2021
Hi,

I have a samsung 970 Evo plus SSD and an external Orico USB box. I was going to use it as an external SSD and I wanted to use hardware encryption. But Samsung Magician does not recognize my external SSD. After some googling I found out that it is a known problem. For example this thread discusses this issue:

It says that Samsung Magician does work when using a thunderbolt enclosure.

Is there any current solution to this problem? What's the best way to use an external SSD with hardware encryption? Should I buy a thunderbolt box or maybe there's some third-party software that allows to enable the encryption without Samsung Magician?

Thank you.

PS. I'm aware that Samsung also has its own external SSDs T5, T7 etc, but I was wondering if I could use the SSD I already bought.

Aug 27, 2021
Thank you for your suggestion, USAFRet.
I do know about this particular problem of Samsung hardware encryption. My hope was that Samsung eventually solved this problem.
I did consider VeraCrypt and BitLocker, but eventually I wanted to try hardware encryption, because it has 0 overhead. I was planning to use this external SSD with my laptop. And even if software encryption does not significantly decrease performance of SSDs, it still uses CPU to do the decryption, which I would rather try to avoid.
Besides, if you want to be really paranoid you can use both: hardware and software encryption.