[SOLVED] External SSD and 2.5 enclosure

Mar 26, 2020
Hey folks

I have a lappy from 2013 with a 17 inch screen that has broken. Lately have been able to connect to an external monitor via HDMI and use it as normal. Recently W10 wanted to update so I said sure. Now it refuses to connect to the screen and I can't see anything. Was unable to get to BIOS on startup trying all the F keys.

Decided to take out the SSD (128) and I assume 2.5 (1tb) and transfer my files to another source. I haven't done this before and wondering if I will be able to get anything out of the SSD because this where Windows was. To get into Windows I use a pin code.

Will I be able to access C: which is traditionally locked with a pin code when starting up?

Also hardware I'm considering is:
View: https://imgur.com/3LjOe5J

View: https://imgur.com/tXRj6q5

Solution
That does not really help me. I've been able to get access to the computer through the external monitor for now.

The external monitor is now working or was that a typo ?? (you meant so say "unable to get access...")
If you have access to Windows then CrystalDiskinfo would be able to get the model# of the drive for us. I'd bet it's a normal Sata drive since it's from 2013.

As for access to the drive's contents from an external enclosure, that's hard to say, was the PIN typed in at the very beginning of powering up the laptop like when you can access the bios? or after Windows was loaded so that you could get into your account?

Bios - you will need your bitlocker recovery code/drive that you hopefully...
Mar 26, 2020
That does not really help me. I've been able to get access to the computer through the external monitor for now. Any recommendations? How can I find out this drive type you mention? If I can remove the code for entry will the drive be accessible from an external reader?

USAFRet

Titan
I'm just saying...before spending money on an adapter, you need to positively identify the actual type of drive it is, so that you can get the right adapter.
Specific make/model number reported by software, or open it up and eyeball the drive.

popatim

Titan
That does not really help me. I've been able to get access to the computer through the external monitor for now.

The external monitor is now working or was that a typo ?? (you meant so say "unable to get access...")
If you have access to Windows then CrystalDiskinfo would be able to get the model# of the drive for us. I'd bet it's a normal Sata drive since it's from 2013.

As for access to the drive's contents from an external enclosure, that's hard to say, was the PIN typed in at the very beginning of powering up the laptop like when you can access the bios? or after Windows was loaded so that you could get into your account?

Bios - you will need your bitlocker recovery code/drive that you hopefully made
Windows - Yes as long as you didn't encrypt anything, if you did then have your recovery code handy.

Solution
Mar 26, 2020
Temporarily - sometimes the external monitor has started to work. I have to try a few of the fn + F keys to get it working (if it works) and can access W10 as normal.

The PIN is on the W10 lock screen. I believe its associated with the MSaccount - i.e. if you forget the PIN you can probably say log in with your MS account. My concern was, how can I access the drive as an external drive (through USB) if it has a code?

In the mean time I am trying to back up as much as I can, however I want to find out if I am able to use these as external.

Thanks

-- Disk List ---------------------------------------------------------------
(1) TOSHIBA THNSNH128GMCT : 128.0 GB [0/0/0, pd1] - to
(2) TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 : 1000.2 GB [1/0/0, pd1]