[SOLVED] External SSD recognized by laptops but not by desktop running Windows 10

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, I put a Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD into an enclosure. It is in NTFS format. I used it to back up some files from my old laptop (actually a MacBook Pro with bootcamp) running Windows 7. However, when I plugged in the drive to my desktop running Windows 10, I heard a bomb sound from my PC and the light of this external SSD is on. However, it does not show up when I clicked the PC icon on desktop. Clicking the PC icon only showed local C and D. C is a 2TB SSD for Windows and D is a 2TB SSD for Linux. I have tried several ports on my desktop but the SSD still does not show up. Next, I plugged it to a new Windows laptop running Windows 10 also. The SSD was recognized. Anybody knows why my desktop cannot recognize the external SSD? I tried other SSD and they have no problem getting mounted.

The enclosure I use is:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07F2S9KYN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?tag=macr05-20&ie=UTF8

Thanks

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
After you plug the ssd into your desktop, go to Desk Management and see if the drive registers. You may simply need to assign it a disk letter.

Thanks.

Under Desk Management, it shows up but there is a cross within a red circle.

When I went to disk drive, it is listed as JMicron Tech SCSI Disk Device. I right-click to uninstalled it. Then, rescan to get it back. However, the situation is the same.

A minute later, it disappeared and at the bottom right, there is a sign saying that the disk cannot be mounted. Then, it shows up again saying with the cross saying that due to competition with other device, it is offline.

Last edited: