Question External SSD running abnormally hot

GM-Otomon

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
Hello, I have an ongoing issue with an external SSD that I have, for some reason it seems to get really hot, reaching up to 80C and yes its noticeable hot compared to my other external SSD which always feels cool to the touch even during intense gaming and shows about 40C.

For reference this is the SSD I am talking about:

https://www.adata.com/en/consumer/441 (Btw site claims it should be hitting 40-50C)

Could the enclosure be causing this? I been told this could be a "false reading" but as I said, it physically feels hot, and I am getting micro stutters whenever I am playing a game, which I assume relate to the high temperatures

Any ideas what I could do?

Would removing the enclosure and just having it out on the open be a bad idea? This is kinda annoying since its my biggest SSD and the price for it has more than doubled (used to be 60$ now selling for up to 140$)

GM-Otomon

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
It seems the enclosure didn't do the job well.

Is it a plastic or aluminum enclosure?

Its literally just plastic, and what do you mean by the enclosure not doing the job well? Is it supposed to prevent it from overheating? I read my issue could be something called "thermal throttling", I already checked that all my drivers are up to date to rule that out.

Its literally just plastic, and what do you mean by the enclosure not doing the job well? Is it supposed to prevent it from overheating? I read my issue could be something called "thermal throttling", I already checked that all my drivers are up to date to rule that out.

Yes most of enclosures are designed for better thermal dissipation, such enclosures are usually made from aluminum.

GM-Otomon

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
Anyway, your SSD has a rather higher-than-normal temperature, does it really feel that hot while touching it with your fingers?
I mean its not so hot it hurts to touch it, but its noticable hot compared to my other smaller SSD that is basically cool to the touch...I would accept it was a false reading but like I said, playing games in it causes micro stutter which makes it useless...reading and writing works fine, its just when playing games that I notice the issue (and yes I tried all those games on the other SSD with no issues)

Okay wtf I tried installing the official ADATA SSD software and it doesn't even support this SSD made by them, so wtf, how do I update the firmware??

Not all SSD need firmware update, especially when the manufacturer uses parts from different suppliers to make their own product.

Most of ADATA SSD have the SM2258 controller from Silicon Motion, SDRAM cache from Nanya and 3D NAND from Micron.