[SOLVED] external SSD suddenly undetected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 5, 2021
Hello,

I have a problem with my external SSD, which I only use to store raw images from my camera. Today, the SSD was not detected by my laptop anymore. Last week it still worked and I did not even touch the SSD since the last usage.
The SSD is from Cruical (P1 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD) and around 2,5 years old. The SSD is stored in a case with USB adapter, so that I can connect it externally to my laptop via USB.
Now, I can't find the SSD in the BIOS or anywhere else. None of the instructions on the internet helped so far and I have no idea anymore on what to do...
I took the SSD out of the case and everything looks perfectly fine. No dust, or signs of heat/burnings. And the LED is still lighting up, when I connect the USB. It is all very confusing, anybody has some ideas how to at least restore the data from the SSD?

Best
Jannis

Hello,

I have a problem with my external SSD, which I only use to store raw images from my camera. Today, the SSD was not detected by my laptop anymore. Last week it still worked and I did not even touch the SSD since the last usage.
The SSD is from Cruical (P1 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD) and around 2,5 years old. The SSD is stored in a case with USB adapter, so that I can connect it externally to my laptop via USB.
Now, I can't find the SSD in the BIOS or anywhere else. None of the instructions on the internet helped so far and I have no idea anymore on what to do...
I took the SSD out of the case and everything looks perfectly fine. No dust, or signs of heat/burnings. And the LED is still lighting up, when I connect the USB. It is all very confusing, anybody has some ideas how to at least restore the data from the SSD?

Best
Jannis
Take the ext to another pc and plug it in.
What happens?

Aug 5, 2021
If you have access to a desk top remove the ssd from the case and plug it in using sata.
I don't have access to any desk top. Only notebooks, where I can't exchange the SSD due to manufacturer warranty.
Is there any adapter cable I could order, which could exclude the SSD case as the error source?

Aug 5, 2021
hows the ssd now? is it working ?
i still hesitate to use nvme as external drive bcus its more fragile than SATA external drive
I bought a new case for the SSD and now it works fine!
I checked the amazon reviews for my old case (CSL - USB 3.2 Gen2 Hard Drive Enclosure 10 Gbit s M.2 Key-M PCIe External - Aluminium - for NVME M.2 SSDs - Supports UASP - Plug and Play - Hot Plug - Type C to Type A Cable)
and despite a good overall rating there are some comments in there which reported a similar problem...

anticeon

Distinguished
May 22, 2014
I bought a new case for the SSD and now it works fine!
I checked the amazon reviews for my old case (CSL - USB 3.2 Gen2 Hard Drive Enclosure 10 Gbit s M.2 Key-M PCIe External - Aluminium - for NVME M.2 SSDs - Supports UASP - Plug and Play - Hot Plug - Type C to Type A Cable)
and despite a good overall rating there are some comments in there which reported a similar problem...
wow .. glad to hear that ... its mean nvme is pretty reliable as external drive

Status
Not open for further replies.