Question Extreme FPS stuttering, please help! (see desc. for details)

Dec 25, 2022
Hello, I recently upgraded from my GTX 1660 Ti to a RTX 3070. Since then I have noticed extreme FPS stuttering (see the yt links below). Games that I can remember this happening from the top of my head are: Garry's Mod, People Playground, Barotrauma. But please note that this does not occur on all games! For example it does not occur on Minecraft, Star Citizen and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. My specs are:

View: https://imgur.com/a/hOd14Ct

Things I have attempted include:
  • Updating and reinstalling graphics drivers through NVIDIA Experience
  • Ensuring all components are properly secured and installed
I have chosen Barotrauma to demonstrate it because it was easy to film for, however the same effect is present across all of the aforementioned games and considerably worse in online play. I have included an offline and an online clip. I elected to film on my phone to better demonstrate the issue better and you can see my performance details at the top right.

View: https://youtu.be/bjMgDjog_7w

View: https://youtu.be/hN461z-XpKY

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
to a RTX 3070

From where you got the GPU?

Also, your on-screen telemetry shows GPU clocks at 375 Mhz and GPU memory clocks at 405 Mhz, which is terribly low.

On stock clocks, RTX 3070 should run at least 1500 Mhz, while boosting to 1725 Mhz or up to 1905 Mhz, depending on RTX 3070 version. And RTX 3070 memory clocks should be at 1750 Mhz.

So, look into as of why your GPU clocks are so low and fixes for it,
e.g: https://www.minitool.com/news/how-to-fix-low-gpu-usage.html

Edit:
You seem to have GPU undervolted, to 0.7. Why?

Also, your GPU only draws 23W while in the game. RTX 3070 is 220W GPU and it should also pull about this amount of power, rather than measly 23W.

At this point, are you sure you have RTX 3070 and not some old and weak GPU, who's BIOS has been flashed, to make the OS think that the GPU is RTX 3070? :unsure:

Dec 25, 2022
At this point, are you sure you have RTX 3070 and not some old and weak GPU, who's BIOS has been flashed, to make the OS think that the GPU is RTX 3070? :unsure:

Hi, I am certain as to the legitimacy of the GPU, my cousin purchased it on my behalf as he works at a reputable computer shop exclusive to my country (PLE Computers). It was purchased brand new roughly 3 weeks ago. As for the rest of the content of you message, I will do some investigating and update you shortly.

Dec 25, 2022
Edit:
You seem to have GPU undervolted, to 0.7. Why?

Also, your GPU only draws 23W while in the game. RTX 3070 is 220W GPU and it should also pull about this amount of power, rather than measly 23W.

Hi, so I did a bit of research, 0.7v seems to be fairly normal for low demand tasks. and as to the low power and clock rate, could that be due to, again, the fact that the particular game being demonstrated was not very demanding? I really appreciate your help thus far.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Did you try the fixes i linked? There are several, including reinstalling the game(s). And if all else fails, clean Win install removes all and every software issues (including bloatware and malware), except rootkits. (Not that i think you may have rootkits, but clean Win install doesn't get rid of rootkit malware.)

could that be due to, again, the fact that the particular game being demonstrated was not very demanding?

I think that the issue isn't as much about how demanding the game is, but instead how well optimized the game is.
E.g if you'd load up Garry's Mod with loads of mods, you can make it demanding on your hardware. Would it (state of being more demanding), remove the stutters in Garry's Mod? I don't think so. But it would be worth of a try.