Extreme Lag With Low Settings

ABasicPotato

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
So I've recently reinstalled a new graphics card and all of my set up into a new case. Everything was running smoothly until recently where I now receive 40-120fps in csgo and 20fps in Dead By Daylight, at the lowest settings. Even if I get decent frames it is still choppy. Also, after a lag spike in csgo sometimes the monitor will not recognize the DVI cable and will say signal not found. I remember a similar problem with my brother's setup where I changed something in the bios and it solved the issue. However, this was a while ago and I can't remember what I changed exactly. To attempt to solve the issue I reinstalled Windows, CSGO, and my drivers but none of this solved my problem. None of my parts are overclocked.
These are my specs:
GTX 980ti Hybrid
i7 4790k
2x8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro
Asus Hero VII

Solution
Do you get the lag spike when your CPU is around 90%? If so, can you do some temp tests for it?

One more thing: when you have a lag spike, keep a task manager window open and see what's using up the CPU. Also check the performance tab when you have a lag spike. Just last week there was this guy that had a very similar issue and it turned out that his motherboard was underclocking his CPU to 700 MHz because of some BIOS mishap.

I3lue1

Distinguished
May 26, 2013
Why do you play on low settings?

It sounds like a power management issue. Your system/ BIOS is in some sort of power-saving mode and that throttles back or even downright shuts down the video card. Try disabling all power-saving options in Windows and check in BIOS about doing the same.

ABasicPotato

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017

I made sure all my windows power management settings were set to performance instead of power saving. I also looked through my BIOS for any type of power management settings and found nothing. Also, I had my settings set to low to see if that would even slightly increase my fps.

I3lue1

Distinguished
May 26, 2013
Ok; so how did it go?

Also, did you do any temp tests and benchmarks? Did you check to see if anything is working @ 100% while you're gaming (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc)? Did you connect everything correctly and did you plug in your card in the same PCI-E slot?

ABasicPotato

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017

Changing the power saving didn't help. I've never done any temp tests or benchmarks. I connected everything correctly and also everything runs under about 60% accept my cpu which shoots up to 65% to 90%.

I3lue1

Distinguished
May 26, 2013
Do you get the lag spike when your CPU is around 90%? If so, can you do some temp tests for it?

One more thing: when you have a lag spike, keep a task manager window open and see what's using up the CPU. Also check the performance tab when you have a lag spike. Just last week there was this guy that had a very similar issue and it turned out that his motherboard was underclocking his CPU to 700 MHz because of some BIOS mishap.

Solution