Extreme Networks X450-G2, no support for half duplex

fb35523

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
Hi!

Does anybody know why Extreme has dropped the support for half duplex in their new X450-G2? Is this a trend in the switch market? Seems odd since there is always a few devices out there that only can do 10M half duplex.

Solution
I guess you have found a discriminator for your purchases. As long as it is clearly indicated, that they don't support half duplex, then it is up to you to be an educated consumer.

fb35523

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
Sure, almost all devices support full duplex and autonegotiation, but there are still lots of devices out there with a 10M half duplex port in them, like management ports, sensors, access control systems and so on. Even today, lots of these devices are sold with only10M half duplex ports, and to be frank, why should they have more than 10M/HD? No need!

fb35523

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
Noone with some insight?

Does anybody know why Extreme has dropped the support for half duplex in their new X450-G2? (B.t.w. it seems the X460-G2 is also full duplex only)
Is this a trend in the switch market?

kanewolf

Titan
When I was discussing this with my networking experts, one cost saving thing that they brought up that I hadn't thought of is that without having half-duplex, then you can drop all the collision logic from the firmware. Again.... cost savings to the vendor is going to be the reason the do something (as I said in my previous post) ...