Question Extreme GPU undervolt ?

Jun 26, 2024
I'm planning to use my current PC (1660 Super, decent PSU) as a 24/7-or-so home media server. Is there any way to undervolt the GPU for it to consume like 20-30 watts?

I saw some reviews that claimed it to consume 20 watts idle. Is Plex and what-not considered to be idle for GPUs? Is there any reason power-wise to choose an open-source NAS system over Windows?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

IMHO, you might be best off not even undervolting(crippling) that discrete GPU and do away with an iGPU/APU. The card in itself doesn't draw much power, which brings me to the question of why you're looking at a targeted 20W power draw for the 1660 Super. If your PSU/case is your limitation, then you should address that, not the GPU.

This would be a good read.

Reactions: turbopronin
Jun 26, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

IMHO, you might be best off not even undervolting(crippling) that discrete GPU and do away with an iGPU/APU. The card in itself doesn't draw much power, which brings me to the question of why you're looking at a targeted 20W power draw for the 1660 Super. If your PSU/case is your limitation, then you should address that, not the GPU.

This would be a good read.
I do not have a graphic core (i3 10100f). PSU in itself is not a limitation, I just don't want to pay for a 100 watt utility that does basically nothing. 20 watt in other hand is ok.

Thanks for the Reddit link though, think it will come handy!