Question Extremely Frequent Crashing

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 11, 2019
Hi, I've recently got back into fortnite (I know pretty lame) but after an hour of playing I crashed, with an error saying

Assertion failed: [File:Unknown] [Line: 198] Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0005 - 'REMOVED')
FortniteClient_Win64_Shipping
FortniteClient_Win64_Shippin

And ever since I got that crash I could never play again without crashing. Most of the time I crash about 30s-1 minute into a game, sometimes in the lobby and rarely, my game won't crash for 3 hours. then eventually crash.
So I tried fixing it. I searched up the error and tried every fix the internet gave me. This includes:
-Re installing drivers (and rolling back) even using DDU
-Regedit (TdrLevel and Delay)
-Reinstalling the game
-changing in-game settings
-Underclocking (although not 100% I did it right)
and probably more that I can't remember.

So as you can see I have tried all I could and my game just still crashes. You might say it's the engines fault, although me and my brother have almost the exact same PC although I've got a better GPU and PSU. I tried my GPU in his PC and I didn't crash once this is why I'm so curious and determined to fix it.
I also crash on any other game I play which is ark, rust and even Minecraft.

My specs are:

RTX 2060 6gb
16GB DDR4 3000mhz Ram (4x4gb)
B350 asus MB
Ryzen 5 1500x
650 G3 EVGA psu
1 SSD 120gb, 1SSD 250gb, 1HDD 1TB

any help or suggestions would be amazing and thank you.

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yes, that is perfectly fine. Honestly, you either have a motherboard or a GPU issue, from my best assessment based on the traffic back/forth in this thread. Isolating the whether or not the GPU is the culprit would be easy if you had access to another GPU (or PC to install your GPU into). The motherboard, not so much.

May 11, 2019
Yes, that is perfectly fine. Honestly, you either have a motherboard or a GPU issue, from my best assessment based on the traffic back/forth in this thread. Isolating the whether or not the GPU is the culprit would be easy if you had access to another GPU (or PC to install your GPU into). The motherboard, not so much.
I tried a different GPU in my PC and still crashed, and then tried my GPU in another PC and it did not so i'm guessing its the mother board. So will i have to get a new one? and does this mean i will need an upgrade or what?

May 11, 2019
Seems to be the most likely culprit. I assume we'll know soon enough.
haha yeah, it isn't going to cost me a penny and i'm getting a brand new one for free, so it won't matter weather it is or not, but i do think it is. By the way thanks for all this help i really do appreciate it, i really can't thank you enough i would of brought a new mobo with my own money if you dint tell me to check for a waranty! <3

May 11, 2019
So, it seems there is an issue with either the CPU, memory, or GPU. Just to confirm. No OCing. Successful memory test. Latest BIOS on mobo (yes, the new one). Right?

Have you tested the GPU in another rig?
Okay, so i did test my GPU in my bro's PC and it worked perfect, i'm not overclocking i don't think, i'm currently under-clocking my GPU to the core clock as it's factory OC'd, the MEMtest told me there were no errors. and i think yes latest bios on the new Mobo.

May 11, 2019
Does your brother's system also have a Ryzen CPU? If so, try swapping them to test for stability.
Unfortunately I tried removing his heat sink to access his CPU but I think the thermal paste has stuck it, it literally won’t budge and I tried pushing down and twisting but I don’t want to damage anything