extremely frustrating boot error

Ryan_201

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
So heres the story,
My old hard drive starting failing (it was slow and i checked it and it was maxed out at 100% with no programs running) so i got a new ssd and hard drive. I didnt back up any of my crap (i know im an idiot but its too late now) so i decided just to start from scratch since i couldnt clone my old drive. So i went to go download windows except the problem is that no matter what i try and boot (ive tried linux as well as win 7) i get the same error saying "disk I/O error" followed by "reboot and select proper boot device" and ive tried booting from cd and usb making sure to change my bios for each. Ive tried booting from my ssd and hard drive individually unsuccessfully but my old hard drive still works. i tried powering down completely as well and im out of ideas. ive read a lot about it and ive been trying various things for about a month now with absolutley no progress. Im beyond frustrated and ready to give up. also if it wasnt already apparent i am an idiot when it comes to computers so instructions tailored to your grandmother would be very welcome. thank you in advance!

Ryan_201

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
bios reset no effect
HDD appears in bios
tried two different new HDD neither had any effect
unplugged external devices and unused hardware nothing changed

Ryan_201

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016

Well I've tried two different cables and plugged them in to all my sata ports, used the power and sata cables with my old drive that works, and my computer recognizes the drives in the bios... so unless there are damaged connectors on the new hard drive and ssd than i dont think this is my problem...

Ryan_201

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016

I really hope not. It seems odd that it would go out the same time as my hard drive. Any ideas on how i can check if its the problem? i would rather not spend money on a new board and still have the same issue