[SOLVED] Extremely high idle temps, what is going on?

Dec 13, 2021
So as the title suggests my <Mod Edit> is failing completely, View: https://i.imgur.com/Hnvq0Jt.png
here are the temps. If you don't want to click the link my cpu is literally at 84 degrees celsius (183 F) during 2% load.
Nothing in my system is overclocked either.
My system is an i7 7700k with a corsair h115i. One of the standoff screws is kind of messed up so could it just be that messing it up this much? The others are all fine it's just 1 that isn't completely perfect but all 4 screws are screwed on.
I've reapplied thermal paste relatively recently as well and I'm unsure of what to do next, do I just buy a new cooler?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Bad idle temps indicate a poor mount or a failing cooler.
A AIO cooler will not last forever.
In time air enters the system and it must be replaced.
Or, perhaps the pump is clogged or is failing.

If you are talking about motherboard standoff screws, that should not matter unless there is a short of the motherboard to the case.

I suspect you are talking about the pump mounting screws in which, yes, that can make a big difference.
include ALL system specs
and ALL cooling(case, fans + positions & orientation, CPU cooler, etc)
One of the standoff screws is kind of messed up so could it just be that messing it up this much?
if the cooler isn't attached properly then heat transfer is not happening as it should / heat is not being displaced from the CPU as it should.

what is causing the standoff & thumbscrew to not attach properly?

Not remotely normal for the 7700K or that cooler. Sounds like the cooler isn't making contact with the CPU properly. If you missing a standoff then the pressure of the cooler could be causing the board to warp slightly and prevent proper contact with the CPU. It could also be a problem with the pump, get the latest version of HWMonitor and check what RPM it has listed for the pump.

Bad idle temps indicate a poor mount or a failing cooler.
A AIO cooler will not last forever.
In time air enters the system and it must be replaced.
Or, perhaps the pump is clogged or is failing.

If you are talking about motherboard standoff screws, that should not matter unless there is a short of the motherboard to the case.

I suspect you are talking about the pump mounting screws in which, yes, that can make a big difference.

Solution