Extremely low download but high upload.

marc_m16

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
Extremely low download but high upload. My phone and PC run tests that look like this but my PS4 connection test is much better (40/90). What could be the issue here?

https://imgur.com/1pCZvvV my speedtest

Some more details:

I don't have direct control or contact with my ISP. I live in Japan and my apartment has it's own connection set up by the super. I got him to wire my unit with a single connection but I'm having issues as you can see. Looking at the upload, I'm certain my speed should be higher than 7 down...

I'm using a Buffalo router and I've tried wiring my PC, wireless through the router and even directly into the wall past the router itself and I still have this kind of speed.

I'm not downloading and I've scanned my PC multiple times of malware/viruses. The speed has been like this for a few weeks now.

Solution
Let's say your super is contracting for a 100/100 service. Let's say there are 10 apartment units. If the super is using bandwidth limiting to give a minimum to each unit, then each might get 10 mpbs. Maybe there is no limiting on the upload (most people download a lot and upload a little) and thus you get most of it. Of course this does not explain the PS4 ... unless there is a difference between IPv4 and IPv6 (most computers and phones will do IPv6, but the PS4 is IPv4 only ... easy test would be to turn off IPv6 on your PC).

This is just one possibility.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your devices or your router, it sounds more like something to do with your setup. I would talk to your neighbors and see what they...
Let's say your super is contracting for a 100/100 service. Let's say there are 10 apartment units. If the super is using bandwidth limiting to give a minimum to each unit, then each might get 10 mpbs. Maybe there is no limiting on the upload (most people download a lot and upload a little) and thus you get most of it. Of course this does not explain the PS4 ... unless there is a difference between IPv4 and IPv6 (most computers and phones will do IPv6, but the PS4 is IPv4 only ... easy test would be to turn off IPv6 on your PC).

This is just one possibility.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your devices or your router, it sounds more like something to do with your setup. I would talk to your neighbors and see what they are getting and then the super to find out more about the setup.

Solution