Question Extremely low FPS on tv with gtx 1060

Oct 25, 2020
T1tanas
12m

I have a gtx 1060 6 gb till now hooked on a Samsung 4K monitor, that was working really cool. A week ago decided to buy this tv LG NanoCell 55NANO866NA 55. So I connected my pc through hdmi gtx1060 output to the hdmi in of tv. The problem is that in any game I load the frame rates are around 10 and less. I have tried and possible combination on the tv settings but nothing. When I connect the pc with the monitor it works smoothly with high enough FPS. Both tv and monitor are 4K. Also PlayStation and a Nintendo switch run smoothly to the tv. Only my pc have this problem. Is like something cap the FPS regardless if I change the ingame resolution to 1080 and less, The FPS remain exactly the same somewhere around 8 to 15 FPS. Any idea would be really helpful. Also I have checked with 3 different hdmi cables with nonluck. I haven’t tried yet a 2.1hdmi cable tbh.

T1tanas
12m

I have a gtx 1060 6 gb till now hooked on a Samsung 4K monitor, that was working really cool. A week ago decided to buy this tv LG NanoCell 55NANO866NA 55. So I connected my pc through hdmi gtx1060 output to the hdmi in of tv. The problem is that in any game I load the frame rates are around 10 and less. I have tried and possible combination on the tv settings but nothing. When I connect the pc with the monitor it works smoothly with high enough FPS. Both tv and monitor are 4K. Also PlayStation and a Nintendo switch run smoothly to the tv. Only my pc have this problem. Is like something cap the FPS regardless if I change the ingame resolution to 1080 and less, The FPS remain exactly the same somewhere around 8 to 15 FPS. Any idea would be really helpful. Also I have checked with 3 different hdmi cables with nonluck. I haven’t tried yet a 2.1hdmi cable tbh.
I would try a 2.1hdmi however i dont think it will make much difference, the gpu may just not be able to handle the screen size.

I would try a 2.1hdmi however i dont think it will make much difference, the gpu may just not be able to handle the screen size.

GPUs are completely screen-size agnostic. It makes no difference to a GPU how big a screen is, it only knows how many pixels it has to render.

A HDMI 2.1 cable will make no difference; in order to use HDMI 2.1, both the screen/monitor and the GPU need to support HDMI 2.1. The GTX 1060 does not support HDMI 2.1, not even RTX 2000 series GPUs support HDMI 2.1, only the RTX 3000 series currently does.

Reactions: johnsoner13
T1tanas
12m

Whats the reselution you are running at?

GPUs are completely screen-size agnostic. It makes no difference to a GPU how big a screen is, it only knows how many pixels it has to render.

A HDMI 2.1 cable will make no difference; in order to use HDMI 2.1, both the screen/monitor and the GPU need to support HDMI 2.1. The GTX 1060 does not support HDMI 2.1, not even RTX 2000 series GPUs support HDMI 2.1, only the RTX 3000 series currently does.
Okay mr smart a, the screen size also helps determine how many pixels the tv has another words it may not support the screen size.

As for 2.1 hdmi agaim theres a reason i said i would give it a shot but doubt it may help. The tv may pick up signal a little better then with a normal hdmi

Okay mr smart a, the screen size also helps determine how many pixels the tv has another words it may not support the screen size.

Screen size does not determine number of pixels. A screen can be very large (55 inches for example) and have 1080p resolution, or at the other extreme it might be smaller than that and have 4k resolution. Pixel density varies from screen to screen, it is not fixed, and thus screen size does not determine resolution.

Here check this out: https://www.nvidia.com/en-in/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1060/ Click on 'full specifications'. It lists HDMI 2.0b as the display standard and 7680x4320 as the maximum digital resolution.

Whether a GTX 1060 is an appropriate card for gaming at 4K is another issue entirely.

Your playstation and nintendo switch are not rendering at 4k, they do not have enough power. They are rendering at something much lower-resolution than that, 1080p for example, and then outputting that to your 4k TV which is why they have acceptable performance.

Your TV has HDMI 2.1. When you plug a HDMI 2.0 GPU into it, its possible that the TV is limiting the connection to 30 Hz; I have a Dell 4k monitor that does the same thing.

In order to get good results gaming on your 4k TV with your PC, you'll need:

1. A GPU capable of running your games at the settings/resolution/frame rate you want, and

2. A GPU with a HDMI 2.1 port

This limits you to current-gen GPUs; something like a RTX 3070 might be a good fit for example.

T1tanas
12m

Is your bios upto date?

Oct 25, 2020
Thank you all for the replies. What confusing me is that even if I set desktop resolution or game resolution to 1080 and even less I have exactly the same FPS as I had 4K resolution.
the FPS behave as not dependent on the resolution.

Oct 25, 2020
It’s really nonsense on my monitor connected with DisplayPort I have 40 FPS on most games at 4K res, but on tv connected with HDMI I have 5 fps. No logical explanation.