[SOLVED] Extremely slow download speed after every router restart

bld939

Honorable
Dec 16, 2017
i have a ridiculous 200 kb/s download speed, and the normal upload speed i expect, pings fine also.
when i run the test on phones wifi i get every speed right, as if there was never a problem.
this happens to me every single time i restart my router, and magically goes back to normal state [proper functioning] after a few days without me doing anything significant.

could that be that my motherboard is failing me ?
ive had this problem for almost a year now and i had another thread here but i never solved the problem and just gave up
thats the thread, i have a lot more info there
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3611796/wired-internet-mbps-wifi-functioning-expected.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=forum_email&utm_campaign=EPR-8809

Solution
From your original thread:
while i was with the isp on the phone we tried connecting the modem into the pc without the router in between and if i recall correctly the internet worked as expected
If correct, then it's probably a problem with your router, or a weird interaction between your PC's ethernet card and the router. Test to confirm that your PC gets full Ethernet speeds when plugged directly into the modem (you may need to power cycle the modem to get it to recognize the PC).

If it gets full speed, then try doing a factory reset of the router. If there are any firmware updates for the router, now would be a good time to install them. (Remember to power cycle the modem after plugging it back into the router.)

If that...
From your original thread:
while i was with the isp on the phone we tried connecting the modem into the pc without the router in between and if i recall correctly the internet worked as expected
If correct, then it's probably a problem with your router, or a weird interaction between your PC's ethernet card and the router. Test to confirm that your PC gets full Ethernet speeds when plugged directly into the modem (you may need to power cycle the modem to get it to recognize the PC).

If it gets full speed, then try doing a factory reset of the router. If there are any firmware updates for the router, now would be a good time to install them. (Remember to power cycle the modem after plugging it back into the router.)

If that doesn't clear up the issue, borrow a router from a friend to test if your computer works with theirs, or buy one from a store which lets you return it in case it turns out not to be the problem.

In the extremely rare case of a weird interaction between the router and PC's Ethernet card, the issue can usually be resolved by sticking a switch between the two devices. If you have a spare switch lying around, you can try that. I mention this because switches tend to be much cheaper than new routers.

Solution

bld939

Honorable
Dec 16, 2017

i hope its the last option because i bought a whole new pc setup that is sitting waiting to be built, and im throwing this pc to the garbage
could it really be tho that it is indeed the motherboard that making my life this stressful ?