[SOLVED] Extremely Slow NVMe SSD Issue, Corruption

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Hello,

I recently purchased a Asus Zephryus G14 and replaced the SSD with a Sabrent Rocket 4TB. Running Windows 10.

After a few weeks of usage (and loading ~2.5TB of data) I started having intermittent EXTREMELY slow disk issues. PC can take 5 seconds or 10 minutes to reboot. Occasionally, I'll reboot to system startup repair saying that my kernel or registry file is missing-- I've used a recovery disk twice.

When the system is acting up, my file copy speeds drop down to 10-20 mbps instead of the normal 3000 mbps.

I bought both the laptop and SSD off of ebay. Does anyone know a good way to diagnose the issue?

Solution
I'd move the SSD to a desktop with an available NVME slot, consider deleting all partitions, perhaps a secure erase, and quick formatting it there, and test it's performance in the desktop...

Then fresh install Windows and all drivers in the laptop in question, hoping the issue is/was just some sort of corruption...

If the drive is truly failed/failing, the problem will likely recur. (we all hope not!)
I'd move the SSD to a desktop with an available NVME slot, consider deleting all partitions, perhaps a secure erase, and quick formatting it there, and test it's performance in the desktop...

Then fresh install Windows and all drivers in the laptop in question, hoping the issue is/was just some sort of corruption...

If the drive is truly failed/failing, the problem will likely recur. (we all hope not!)

Solution