extremely slow pc and programs not responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

rondogz

Reputable
May 4, 2015
hey guys really frustrating problem im having at the moment. as of recently (3 days ago) i was playing gta (offline because the router was disconnected) when i decided to connect the router to the other computer downstairs the game just froze, i thought nothing of it but a gaming glitch so i restarted my pc, ever since then my computer has been really slow and programs will not respond, i would have to wait 10 mins for a program to finally respond.

i tried looking on other forums for solutions but no luck, i did a fresh install a couple of weeks back when i upgraded my mobo so the hard drive has heaps of space (589gb of free space on the C: drive)

things i have tried:

1. downloaded malwarebytes, avast free and adaware as suggested from other forums did a full system scan with all 3 programs found a couple of viruses on one of the programs so i deleted them, still to no avail.

2. i have tried restarting my CMOS, still no luck

3. tried re-seating RAM sticks also tried tried one stick without the other so i highly doubt its the ram (i use 8gb of ram-2 x 4gb sticks)

4. checked cpu fan for dust, cpu fans spins normally and there is no dust (using the cooler master hyper 212 evo cpu fan)

5. also removed most of the start up programs (i do anyway for quicker boot times) so i know theres no programs running in the background which would slow down performance.

6. took a look at task manager to see if any processes are using cpu (cpu:i5 4670k) , it seems fine the only program that uses the most cpu is google chrome (noticed when chrome is open that it opens up 3 processes for it is that normal?) cpu usage is also pretty low the same with memory.

***also im using safe mode to write this up, safe mode seems to be fine, its a bit slow but not as bad as in normal mode.***

sorry for the essay^ but im getting desperate so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advanced :D

Solution
so turns out all i had to do was repair my hard drive, its wierd i have never had anything like this happen to me but i will post the steps just incase anyone else has the same issue.

1. go into my computer and right click the (c:) drive and go to properties
2. click on the tools tab
3. under "error-checking" click check now andmake sure both "automatically fix file systems errors" and "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" then click start. then restart your pc.

this process took me to a black screen on startup which lingered for an hour but after that my computer was running fine :) i hope this helps somone, i know its been driving me crazy.

rondogz

Reputable
May 4, 2015
so turns out all i had to do was repair my hard drive, its wierd i have never had anything like this happen to me but i will post the steps just incase anyone else has the same issue.

1. go into my computer and right click the (c:) drive and go to properties
2. click on the tools tab
3. under "error-checking" click check now andmake sure both "automatically fix file systems errors" and "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" then click start. then restart your pc.

this process took me to a black screen on startup which lingered for an hour but after that my computer was running fine :) i hope this helps somone, i know its been driving me crazy.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS