Question Extremely slow write speed M.2 NVMe ?

Aug 11, 2022
I have a I have a Transcend's PCIe® SSD 110Q 500GB with an average read rate of 1819MB/s and average write of 875 MB/s. I know it says speeds are "up to" 2000/1500 MB/s but there has to be something wrong with my write speed. I now get average read rate of 1844MB/s and average write of 125 MB/s. And I don't think thats normal the write speeds dropped so much in a weeks time after installing the new m.2 SSD

specs:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz 1.19 GHz
Installed RAM 12,0 GB (11,8 GB usable)
Transcend's PCIe® SSD 110Q 500GB

Can someone help me find where the issue is ?

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
ummm... NO, this is NOT normal :D

those 2 apps should NOT be writing anything significant to the drive, and even if they were, it should not cut your write speed down so badly.....

what do you mean by "printer stuff" ? If you are talking about the print drivers, status monitor, or some other printer control app, again, they should not be writing anything to the drive, only reading from it.

You probably have some other background process(es) running that ARE writing alot of the data to the drive for some reason....

Have you looked at the process viewer to see what is & is not running, background or otherwise ?

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
trudat, but I was attempting eliminate the legit stuff 1st, before getting into moar serious stuff :D
Ya, I understand. in reality, one step at a time. Slow write speeds might be something as simple as the lack of a heat sink and it's being throttled to prevent overheating. I wouldn't test any ssd's write speed, it just causes excess wear, keep doing that, next thing you know the wear leveling chipset gets full of marked cells that can't take any more writing. Then the whole speed showballs when the used cells add up. The chipset has to look thru a table of worn out cells, it becomes huge and before you know it there's no cells to write too. Never defrag an ssd , was the first article I read.

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
I bet your ssd is getting hot. Most chipsets sense the temp and reduce the write speed to keep them cool. Do you have a heatsink on your ssd? If it's running close to 80 c it's going to run real slow. Some crude chipsets just make and ssd a read only when the heat reaches a threshold. Others throttle the write speed. If you have a heat sink they should have thermal compound too.