[SOLVED] Extremly high temperatures on i9 7900X

-Sapphire-

Prominent
May 9, 2017
I've got a developer workstation in folowing configuration

Configuration

CPU: i9 7900X (No Overclock, Not delided)
Cooler: Deepcool captain 360 ex + Acrtic Cooling MX4

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage VI EXTREME
latest UEFI BIOS - Loaded default optimized settings, with RAM configured as 3400 MHz and RAM voltages at 1.3
Core Voltage in this default settings configured automaticaly an is set to 1.065V

Memory: 32GB 4x8GB runing at 3400 MHz at 1.3 Volts - KIT -> (3866MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (CMK32GX4M4B3866C18R) (4x8Gb KIT))
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce 1060 6GB

PSU: Corsair HX1200i
Storage: 1x Intel Optane 900P 480GB,1x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SATA, 1x Intel 520 180GB SATA, 2x WD HDD 640GB, 2x WD HDD 1TB

Room ambiet temperature: 23 degrees of Celsius

Load test software

OCCTPT 4.5.2
prime95v294b8
Linx-0.6.5
Blender benchmark 1.0-beta2
Indigo Benchmark v4.0.64
AIDA 64 Extreme 5.99.4900 - Stress Test CPU+FPU
CINEBENCH R15.038

CPU gets over 102 C degrees in 10-20 seconds after I start any these software. If I dissable "Stress FPU option" in AIDA 64 Stress I got for about 84-87 degrees. Seem like using of AVX instruction in this test just skyrockets CPU temperatures

During these tests my CPU runs at 4 GHz on all clocks.
VRM temeratures are up to 64-70 degrees.

I've also tried Intel Process Diagnostic Tool - Max temperatures during full CPU tests including AVX - 85 C

I've tried to change motherboard for MSI X299 SLI PLUS, thermal compound and AIO Cooler from Corsair H115i. Results are the same.

Is this temperatures normal for CPU or something wrong with it?

Solution
Considering you issue and the fact that your OC doesn't seem to high for your cooling solution I think you have another issue: the IHS of your CPU may not be flat. Remove the CPU, clean the thermal paste and try to spin the CPU on a table. If it spins, you'll need an IHS lapping (basically sanding and polishing) - I've seen quite a few number of i9 Cpu's with this issue. Also, make sure the contact plate on your AIO doesn't have this issue. 102C CPU temperature in such a short amount of time with a decnet cooling solution on a moderate OC looks like a heat transfer issue to me.
Considering you issue and the fact that your OC doesn't seem to high for your cooling solution I think you have another issue: the IHS of your CPU may not be flat. Remove the CPU, clean the thermal paste and try to spin the CPU on a table. If it spins, you'll need an IHS lapping (basically sanding and polishing) - I've seen quite a few number of i9 Cpu's with this issue. Also, make sure the contact plate on your AIO doesn't have this issue. 102C CPU temperature in such a short amount of time with a decnet cooling solution on a moderate OC looks like a heat transfer issue to me.

Solution