[SOLVED] Eye-friendly gaming monitors

sporkbearer

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
In addition to eyestrain, I have fairly poor eyesight. Normally I'd be extremely interested in examining whatever screen I purchase first, but finding most of the models I've been looking into (or computer screens in general) on display in my vicinity has proven difficult thus far.

I'm particularly interested in the XG2401, for a number of reasons (pricing, physical adjustability, no flicker, and so on), but I also understand the OSD is relatively limited (especially in terms of brightness and gamma settings), and I've seen widely differing reviews of its image quality.

I'd be interested in both personal impressions and more general information, for the 2401 specifically as well as similar screens (CFG73, S25HG50, XF240H, etc.), particularly in regards to text clarity, image quality, adjustability, reading modes, and general user experience.

Aside from gaming, I do intend to work and browse on this computer.

Solution
My advice is to always put yourself in front of the monitor. You may need to visit several places to do this, but you're gonna be looking at the monitor for many hours, so spending a little bit of time selecting the right monitor for you shoudn't be unreasonable. You can read and compare technical specs all you want, but what you really need to know is what monitor(s) will look good, and cause the least eye strain over time- an the only real way to do this is to put your eyes in front of them.
My advice is to always put yourself in front of the monitor. You may need to visit several places to do this, but you're gonna be looking at the monitor for many hours, so spending a little bit of time selecting the right monitor for you shoudn't be unreasonable. You can read and compare technical specs all you want, but what you really need to know is what monitor(s) will look good, and cause the least eye strain over time- an the only real way to do this is to put your eyes in front of them.

Solution