Eyes-on: AMD Shows 3D Capabilities With HD3D

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggins

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Sigh... I was hoping AMD would go with $5 polarized glasses instead of $100 shutter glasses. They should make the monitor/TV do all the work, not the glasses. I think the TV and movie industries need to re-evaluate their "standards." When you go to the theater, you wear polarized glasses. But when you're at home you wear shutter glasses. This is not a standard!

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]Why should you say the kids are spoilt, its not their fault if their parents happen to be successful! And I am no rich enthusiast, I just saved up my hard earned money for the experience!
"Right now...3d is for suckers with money to blow."
I take it you have no money then?[/citation]
3D is as much as a gimmick as getting new hardware. People will complain about how 3D is a gimmick and they wouldn't want to spend 50-150$, but these are the same users who want a new beefier CPU or GPU that gives a 10-35% performance increase to something that was already appropriate enough to play any game they want no matter what settings. Although this isn't for everyone, it is for gamers and media viewers who want to enjoy 3D because they bought a 3D TV or monitor. Calling them spoiled is just as much as calling any gamer spoiled.

Maybe AMD just want to have scapegoats to blame for the inevitable problems that are going to come to light at some point in the future.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

Mouse trying to continue a flamewar, [sarcasm]this is so much a of a surprise![/sarcasm]
Although I don't see AMD blaming as much as it will fail at times. Having the support of third person parties may prove useful for both AMD and it's GPU consumers.

xambron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]Seikent[/nom]120 fps for 2D rocks with Vsync, it's pretty![/citation]
How did ^60FPS become anymore useful?

[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]Why should you say the kids are spoilt, its not their fault if their parents happen to be successful! And I am no rich enthusiast, I just saved up my hard earned money for the experience! I did not buy a big new car and stopped drinking beer for a year when I go out, its healthier as well!! "Right now...3d is for suckers with money to blow."I take it you have no money then?[/citation]
If you bothered to read everything, i did say its also for 3d enthusiasts, which you must be to want to spend all your beer money on it. also, the "must have no money" WTF? it means he doesnt want to spend it on lame ass 3D, but thats his opinion.

FlukieLukie

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
[citation][nom]Wolfram23[/nom]So you can't run a DVI to 3D monitor for this? You must use HDMI?[/citation]

You can use DVI but it's not "officially" supported, but using checkerboard or w.e it should work fine.

What? Don't you like being reminded about AMD trying to shift the blame for the GSOD issue? :lol:

whyme466

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
I remain confused by the performance that I continue to see, versus the reported limitations of TMDS. If I am somehow operating at 24 Hz, then I suspect most people would not be able to distinguish the performance I am experiencing from a system truly operating at 60 Hz. See http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=12939.

Computer: MacPro 5,1 (mid 2010 model) - 8.0 GB RAM, 6-core Xeon W3680 @ 3.33 GHx, 512 GB SSD (plus 2 TB standard disk storage), Sapphire 6970 graphics card with Arctic Cooling Accelero XTREME Plus cooling modification, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit - Experience Index 7.0. NVIDIA GT120 graphics card for dual boot (Windows/Mac) with 30 in Apple 2560 x 1600 monitor previously used for gaming. HDMI 1.4 connection to Panasonic VIERA TC-P50VT25 3D HDTV. Ignition gaming engine.

rzayas28

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
The cheapest smallest 3d HDTV I could find on Samsungs site was PN43D490A1D at 43" and $800. Anyone know of a smaller cheaper one? I've got 2 6950's in xfire and am ready to go on this. I saw AMD update compatible monitors on their website to include the Acer HS244HQ, but can't find anywhere to buy it. I just bought Crysis 2 and refuse to play it because I want to wait to play it in 3d.

Thanks for any advice.

PIZZA Man

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
I tried 3d gaming by going cross-eyed on the side by side setting in Avatar, lol. My HDTV broke recently (don't go turnin up your nose when Nintendo tells you to wear the wii-remote wrist straps), perfect excuse to go buyin a nice new 3dtv. Saw a nice 42" for $700 in Costco. Now I can game in 3d for real. 3d gaming all the way!

G

THX AMD to making 3D possible with media center :)
I own a 6850 and i am going to buy my 3d tv this week, i had find a LG 42" passive for 999 euros, this is just great

Status
Not open for further replies.