Eyes-on With Sharp's Amazing IGZO Display Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
"According to a Sharp rep, it may be a while before we see IGZO-based smartphones here in the U.S. – they're currently being released by NTT Docomo in Japan."

That's too bad. A display that doesn't need to refresh a static image seems like a no-brainer for a mobile platform, and not nearly as beneficial in a desktop environment.

How are the viewing angles, colors, and brightness? Are they subjectively on par with IPS?

"I just purchased the iPhone 4S with Apple's coveted Retina display, so I was already used to super-crisp icons anyway. But I did notice the size of the screen which made me somewhat jealous given that the iPhone 4S screen is a stupid small 3.5-inches."

Sounds like buyer's remorse. Give back that one and get a LG Optimus G, or a HTC OneX+, or a SGS3 if you want a better display that's also quite a bit larger and more usable.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Stupid small 3.5 inches.....
Yeah, after using the note 2 for a couple of months, I love the size. I don't think that I will be going smaller than 5 inches ever again. 5.5 is perfect for showing photos, videos, or playing games. My thumbs would take up 20% of a 3.5 inch screen.

Longer battery life would be a plus as not all phones can fit a large battery like the note 2.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Why all the edge-let LED TVs? Local backlight dimming is soooo much better but basically no tvs have this anymore. There's a 3yr old Samsung and a few others, and then they just stopped and went edge-lit. Odd.

alexthager

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]keither5150[/nom]Stupid small 3.5 inches..... Yeah, after using the note 2 for a couple of months, I love the size. I don't think that I will be going smaller than 5 inches ever again. 5.5 is perfect for showing photos, videos, or playing games. My thumbs would take up 20% of a 3.5 inch screen.Longer battery life would be a plus as not all phones can fit a large battery like the note 2.[/citation] I wouldn't say it's "stupid" though, as that's incredible opinionated. When I owned my iPhone 4, I had no complaints with the screen size. I think it's great that companies are trying out larger screens, but that doesn't mean that smaller screens are bad.
I

Scar89

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]Why all the edge-let LED TVs? Local backlight dimming is soooo much better but basically no tvs have this anymore. There's a 3yr old Samsung and a few others, and then they just stopped and went edge-lit. Odd.[/citation]
Maybe so they could make the tvs thinner, add the LED's to the side/edges instead of taking up space at the back? Seems to be a craze of making everything thinner these days, though I don't see a point in slimming down TV's any further. Who knows, maybe Samsung will make a TV with their bendable screens and you just roll it out onto your living room wall? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.