Question EZ Bug CPU white light

Aug 13, 2022
Hi everyone

I recently upgraded my PC and got a new CPU (AMD Ryzen 7 5800x). After swapping out my old CPU with my new one, I get no signal to my monitor or peripherals, the the solid white CPU light showed up on the motherboard, and my PC won't turn off when holding down the power button, so I'd have turn off the power supply switch for it to turn off. I've done the following:

Check CPU pins; none were bent/warped

Double-checked and reseated all hardware components

Removed 1 stick of RAM

Removed both sticks of RAM

Removed all components so only GPU and CPU were left

Removed ALL components so only the CPU was left

Reset CMOS battery

I even swapped back to my old CPU (Ryzen 5 2600) and I still have the same issue. My PC worked perfectly fine before I upgraded, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Any help would be appreciated.

My specs:

Ryzen 7 5800x
AMD RX 5700
MSI B450M PRO-VDH
Corsair 1200AX

Disconnect from the wall outlet and put the old CPU...the 2600...back in and remove the battery. Short the CMOS reset pins and leave it for a half hour or so.

Then put it back together. Hopefully it starts up now on the old CPU again. Update BIOS to the latest for your board so it can support your 5800X CPU.

Once you've updated BIOS put in the new CPU and reset CMOS AGAIN, before you start it up. Then start up and go into BIOS and find the "Load Default Settings" and do so.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Aug 13, 2022
A bit overboard on the amount of bios resets there, but they can't hurt.
Additionally, make sure there's no crud between the pins on the cpu or in the pinholes on the socket. I had carbonized dust from a hardworking cooler fall and cause me the same symptoms you are seeing.

Aug 13, 2022
Thanks for the replies guys. I did what drea.drechsler instructed but during the process I accidentally broke some pins off my CPU lol. (The CPU cooler was a bit of a pain to install and I didn't realize I shifted the CPU around in the socket while I was trying to align the screws).

I just bought a new Mobo that supports 3rd Gen Ryzen out of the gate so hopefully I won't run into the same problem when I try to assemble the parts again. It'll be delivered sometime today so I'm crossing my fingers it will be a relatively easy rebuild.

Thanks you guys again