Aug 27, 2021
This is my first build and it consists of

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600g
Motherboard - Msi b550m pro vdh wifi
Memory - silicon xpower 3200mhz
Storage - Kingston a2000 m.2 ssd
Power - evga b550m 550w fully modular psu

When I press the power button on the case, the fans start spinning but the EZ debug section on the motherboard shows a light next to the word CPU.
Ive tried these following procedures but it has still not worked:

• I've reseated the cpu, check for any bent or broken pins and there was none.
  • I've reinstalled the ram sticks and tried to run with only one stick.
  • I've even taken out and reinstalled the m.2 ssd.

The motherboard is currently out of the case as I test it, but so far no luck.

This is my first build ever and I don't know what to do. If any piece here is not functioning properly I will not be able to get a replacement. The build is simply done for and I have no choice but to give up.

Solution
If its the wrong port its no big deal, the process never started.

What you wanted to avoid is interrupting that 5 minute process.

The instructions will say what to have connected and what not too. This is a unique process for different mobo makers, so make sure you follow their instructions explicitly.

Double check you have it in the right USB port, which should be marked. Also double check the instructions on what needs to be connected. Ive seen things like CPU power discoed, but Mobo power plugged. I have also seen where you leave everything plugged in and it just boots up normally after completing its up date.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
This is my first build and it consists of

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600g
Motherboard - Msi b550m pro vdh wifi
Memory - silicon xpower 3200mhz
Storage - Kingston a2000 m.2 ssd
Power - evga b550m 550w fully modular psu

When I press the power button on the case, the fans start spinning but the EZ debug section on the motherboard shows a light next to the word CPU.
Ive tried these following procedures but it has still not worked:

• I've reseated the cpu, check for any bent or broken pins and there was none.
  • I've reinstalled the ram sticks and tried to run with only one stick.
  • I've even taken out and reinstalled the m.2 ssd.
The motherboard is currently out of the case as I test it, but so far no luck.

This is my first build ever and I don't know what to do. If any piece here is not functioning properly I will not be able to get a replacement. The build is simply done for and I have no choice but to give up.
Update the BIOS on the motherboard.

Aug 27, 2021
Update the BIOS on the motherboard.

Ok so I read the motherboard manual and it has a section on updating the bios with the flash bios button. It seems to say that I will not need another extra CPU for this as I can download the bios file onto a USB stick and plug that in. Here's what it says:

Updating BIOS with Flash BIOS Button
1. Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from
the MSI® website.
  1. Rename the BIOS file to MSI.ROM, and save it to the root of your USB flash drive.
  2. Connect the power supply to CPU_PWR1 and ATX_PWR1. (No need to install CPU
and memory.)
4. Plug the USB flash drive that contains the MSI.ROM file into the Flash BIOS Port
on the rear I/O panel.
  1. Press the Flash BIOS Button to flash BIOS, and the LED starts flashing.
  2. The LED will be turned off when the process is completed.

Also yes I do have a laptop if that is going to help in anyway possible

larsv8

Distinguished
Yes, USB based BIOS updating is a very useful feature, specifically with a brand new CPU like a 5600g,

This is likely your issue.

When you search for the new BIOS number, look for notes that say added support for AMD 5 series apus or similar.

Note - Updating a bios is risky. You can brick your board if you lose power or don't complete the process correctly.

Make sure you watch a youtube video on that board flashback to make sure you are doing it correctly. And wait out the thunderstorm if there is one.

Aug 27, 2021
Yes, USB based BIOS updating is a very useful feature, specifically with a brand new CPU like a 5600g,

This is likely your issue.

When you search for the new BIOS number, look for notes that say added support for AMD 5 series apus or similar.

Note - Updating a bios is risky. You can brick your board if you lose power or don't complete the process correctly.

Make sure you watch a youtube video on that board flashback to make sure you are doing it correctly. And wait out the thunderstorm if there is one.

Ok I think I might have screwed up big time here. I found a guide on the bios flash procedure and followed it. I plugged in the USB containing the ROM file, and then turned on the power switch on the psu. Things look promising for a second but then the red flashing light that was supposed to flash for 5 minutes, turned off after flashing twice.

I'm worried that I either plugged the USB into the wrong port, or it could be because I did not disconnect the cpu, ram, or ssd from the motherboard.

Is this still save able? I have not turned off the power switch on the psu yet because I'm afraid I will brick the computer.

larsv8

Distinguished

The instructions will say what to have connected and what not too. This is a unique process for different mobo makers, so make sure you follow their instructions explicitly.

Double check you have it in the right USB port, which should be marked. Also double check the instructions on what needs to be connected. Ive seen things like CPU power discoed, but Mobo power plugged. I have also seen where you leave everything plugged in and it just boots up normally after completing its up date.

Solution
Aug 27, 2021

Ok I'm gonna try just moving the USB. And not touching anything else for now.

TRENDING THREADS