F10 Diagnostics

mick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

I have an old compaq deskpro 4000 that I set up for the kids to use. I am
trying to install a new Hard drive but I need the F10 setup boot. This
particular desktop does not have the F10 installed or it is not active one
of the two. How can I reinstall this option at boot up. I have created the
two F10 set up disk but when I choose to install it says I need the
Diagnostics disk to creat a service partition (I think) but I cannot find
that diagnostics disk anywhere. Sorry for the long winded post but at my
wits end with this old boat anchor ;-). BTW I am a novice so please be
gentle.

Thanks for any help offered.

hh

You do not need to install the setup/diags. They can be run from the
floppies.
HH

"Mick" <cohoon2@nospam.nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> I have an old compaq deskpro 4000 that I set up for the kids to use. I am
> trying to install a new Hard drive but I need the F10 setup boot. This
> particular desktop does not have the F10 installed or it is not active one
> of the two. How can I reinstall this option at boot up. I have created the
> two F10 set up disk but when I choose to install it says I need the
> Diagnostics disk to creat a service partition (I think) but I cannot find
> that diagnostics disk anywhere. Sorry for the long winded post but at my
> wits end with this old boat anchor ;-). BTW I am a novice so please be
> gentle.
>
> Thanks for any help offered.

sure... at about 12KBps... running those tools from floppy is a nightmare.
Great advice, there champ.

Original Poster,
Make sure that your dive does not have ANY partitions on it. Then, you can
use the diskettes to create the partition, and copy the tools from the
floppies to it. They run 1000 times faster from the drive, and for the mere
8M (or whatever) you give up at the beginning of your drive, its well worth
it.

The diags are a very geeky thing to have. In my many years of supporting
compaq and other systems, I can probably count on 1 hand how many times i
have needed them. If you dont have the floppy with those things on it, its
not the end of the world.

NuTs (LC)

"HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You do not need to install the setup/diags. They can be run from the
> floppies.
> HH
>
> "Mick" <cohoon2@nospam.nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> > I have an old compaq deskpro 4000 that I set up for the kids to use. I
am
> > trying to install a new Hard drive but I need the F10 setup boot. This
> > particular desktop does not have the F10 installed or it is not active
one
> > of the two. How can I reinstall this option at boot up. I have created
the
> > two F10 set up disk but when I choose to install it says I need the
> > Diagnostics disk to creat a service partition (I think) but I cannot
find
> > that diagnostics disk anywhere. Sorry for the long winded post but at my
> > wits end with this old boat anchor ;-). BTW I am a novice so please be
> > gentle.
> >
> > Thanks for any help offered.

hh

Yes, but setup is more often used, and it runs fine from the floppy.
Misleading misinformation there, champ.
FYI, I was a tech at Compaq Consumer Electronic Services (online support)
for 6 years.
HH

"NuT CrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> sure... at about 12KBps... running those tools from floppy is a nightmare.
> Great advice, there champ.
>
> Original Poster,
> Make sure that your dive does not have ANY partitions on it. Then, you can
> use the diskettes to create the partition, and copy the tools from the
> floppies to it. They run 1000 times faster from the drive, and for the
mere
> 8M (or whatever) you give up at the beginning of your drive, its well
worth
> it.
>
> The diags are a very geeky thing to have. In my many years of supporting
> compaq and other systems, I can probably count on 1 hand how many times i
> have needed them. If you dont have the floppy with those things on it, its
> not the end of the world.
>
> NuTs (LC)
>
> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > You do not need to install the setup/diags. They can be run from the
> > floppies.
> > HH
> >
> > "Mick" <cohoon2@nospam.nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> > > I have an old compaq deskpro 4000 that I set up for the kids to use. I
> am
> > > trying to install a new Hard drive but I need the F10 setup boot. This
> > > particular desktop does not have the F10 installed or it is not active
> one
> > > of the two. How can I reinstall this option at boot up. I have created
> the
> > > two F10 set up disk but when I choose to install it says I need the
> > > Diagnostics disk to creat a service partition (I think) but I cannot
> find
> > > that diagnostics disk anywhere. Sorry for the long winded post but at
my
> > > wits end with this old boat anchor ;-). BTW I am a novice so please be
> > > gentle.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help offered.

I didnt say it wouldnt work... i said it would be very slow. It also
requires that you have the diskettes at hand if you need to run setup.

There was nothing misleading about what i said.

I congratulate you on a long career at the helpdesk. That is usually a very
high-turnover position and it takes a special type of person to stick with
it.

> Yes, but setup is more often used, and it runs fine from the floppy.
> Misleading misinformation there, champ.
> FYI, I was a tech at Compaq Consumer Electronic Services (online support)
> for 6 years.
> HH
>
> "NuT CrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> > sure... at about 12KBps... running those tools from floppy is a
nightmare.
> > Great advice, there champ.
> >
> > Original Poster,
> > Make sure that your dive does not have ANY partitions on it. Then, you
can
> > use the diskettes to create the partition, and copy the tools from the
> > floppies to it. They run 1000 times faster from the drive, and for the
> mere
> > 8M (or whatever) you give up at the beginning of your drive, its well
> worth
> > it.
> >
> > The diags are a very geeky thing to have. In my many years of supporting
> > compaq and other systems, I can probably count on 1 hand how many times
> > have needed them. If you dont have the floppy with those things on it,
its
> > not the end of the world.
> >
> > NuTs (LC)
> >
> > "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > You do not need to install the setup/diags. They can be run from the
> > > floppies.
> > > HH
> > >
> > > "Mick" <cohoon2@nospam.nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> > am
This
> > one
> > the
> > find
> my

mick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

Thanks for the quick reply people but I am a little confused.(that does not
take much usually). I have the 2 F10 set up disks but I thought that unless
they are installed I could not change the info. Maybe I am on the wrong
track but below is a step by step analysis of my problem.

- On my son's machine Deskpro 4000 266 there are two drives one 3 gig and
the other 2 gig as slave and they work great except Ihe ran out of room.
-I install a 20 gig drive for him and when I boot up it only reads the drive
as 8594 megs and I get the 1790 disk error.

- Jumpers are right and no problem with the cables.

-I install the same drive in a deskpro 4000 EN 300 (daughters) with the F10
option, and it installs and works wonderful. Installed windows XP no
problem.

The first computer is reading the drive incorrectly and my deduction is that
if I had the f10 funtionality I could change the settings to read it
correct. So in closing how do I get the F10 option at boot up (beside the
F12) so I can get into it and change the settigs?

Thanks again for all your help and the quick responses. You never know I may
even learn something here today :).
Rob
"HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes, but setup is more often used, and it runs fine from the floppy.
> Misleading misinformation there, champ.
> FYI, I was a tech at Compaq Consumer Electronic Services (online support)
> for 6 years.
> HH
>
> "NuT CrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> > sure... at about 12KBps... running those tools from floppy is a
nightmare.
> > Great advice, there champ.
> >
> > Original Poster,
> > Make sure that your dive does not have ANY partitions on it. Then, you
can
> > use the diskettes to create the partition, and copy the tools from the
> > floppies to it. They run 1000 times faster from the drive, and for the
> mere
> > 8M (or whatever) you give up at the beginning of your drive, its well
> worth
> > it.
> >
> > The diags are a very geeky thing to have. In my many years of supporting
> > compaq and other systems, I can probably count on 1 hand how many times
> > have needed them. If you dont have the floppy with those things on it,
its
> > not the end of the world.
> >
> > NuTs (LC)
> >
> > "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > You do not need to install the setup/diags. They can be run from the
> > > floppies.
> > > HH
> > >
> > > "Mick" <cohoon2@nospam.nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> > am
This
> > one
> > the
> > find
> my

The first machine hsa a BIOS limit of 8GB. not unusual for this era. You can
use the manufacturer's overlay software, or purchase a PCI IDE card.

Tom
> [...]
> > > sure... at about 12KBps... running those tools from floppy is a
> nightmare.
> > > Great advice, there champ.
> > >
> > > Original Poster,
> > > Make sure that your dive does not have ANY partitions on it. Then, you
> can
> > > use the diskettes to create the partition, and copy the tools from the
> > > floppies to it. They run 1000 times faster from the drive, and for the
> > mere
> > > 8M (or whatever) you give up at the beginning of your drive, its well
> > worth
> > > it.
> > >
> > > The diags are a very geeky thing to have. In my many years of
supporting
> > > compaq and other systems, I can probably count on 1 hand how many
times
> > > have needed them. If you dont have the floppy with those things on it,

hh

Running PC setup is not particularly slow when run from a floppy disk, but I
agree diags are.
I'd still be at Compaq if it weren't for health issues, not job related. I
enjoyed ES very much.

> I didnt say it wouldnt work... i said it would be very slow. It also
> requires that you have the diskettes at hand if you need to run setup.
>
> There was nothing misleading about what i said.
>
> I congratulate you on a long career at the helpdesk. That is usually a
very
> high-turnover position and it takes a special type of person to stick with
> it.
>
> LC
>
> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, but setup is more often used, and it runs fine from the floppy.
> > Misleading misinformation there, champ.
> > FYI, I was a tech at Compaq Consumer Electronic Services (online
support)
> > for 6 years.
> > HH
> >
> > "NuT CrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> > > sure... at about 12KBps... running those tools from floppy is a
> nightmare.
> > > Great advice, there champ.
> > >
> > > Original Poster,
> > > Make sure that your dive does not have ANY partitions on it. Then, you
> can
> > > use the diskettes to create the partition, and copy the tools from the
> > > floppies to it. They run 1000 times faster from the drive, and for the
> > mere
> > > 8M (or whatever) you give up at the beginning of your drive, its well
> > worth
> > > it.
> > >
> > > The diags are a very geeky thing to have. In my many years of
supporting
> > > compaq and other systems, I can probably count on 1 hand how many
times
> > > have needed them. If you dont have the floppy with those things on it,
> its
> > > not the end of the world.
> > >
> > > NuTs (LC)
> > >
> > > "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > am
> This
> active
> > > one
> created
> > > the
> > > find
> at
> > my
> be

mick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

Thanks Tom! is that overlay software like a bios flash and is it
downloadable from the compack website? Thanks again folks for all your help!

> The first machine hsa a BIOS limit of 8GB. not unusual for this era. You
can
> use the manufacturer's overlay software, or purchase a PCI IDE card.
>
> Tom
> "Mick" <cohoon2@nospam.nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the quick reply people but I am a little confused.(that does
> not
> > take much usually). I have the 2 F10 set up disks but I thought that
> unless
> > they are installed I could not change the info. Maybe I am on the wrong
> > track but below is a step by step analysis of my problem.
> >
> > - On my son's machine Deskpro 4000 266 there are two drives one 3 gig
and
> > the other 2 gig as slave and they work great except Ihe ran out of room.
> > -I install a 20 gig drive for him and when I boot up it only reads the
> drive
> > as 8594 megs and I get the 1790 disk error.
> >
> > - Jumpers are right and no problem with the cables.
> >
> > -I install the same drive in a deskpro 4000 EN 300 (daughters) with the
> F10
> > option, and it installs and works wonderful. Installed windows XP no
> > problem.
> >
> > The first computer is reading the drive incorrectly and my deduction is
> that
> > if I had the f10 funtionality I could change the settings to read it
> > correct. So in closing how do I get the F10 option at boot up (beside
the
> > F12) so I can get into it and change the settigs?
> >
> > Thanks again for all your help and the quick responses. You never know I
> may
> > even learn something here today :).
> > Rob
> > "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Yes, but setup is more often used, and it runs fine from the floppy.
> > > Misleading misinformation there, champ.
> > > FYI, I was a tech at Compaq Consumer Electronic Services (online
> support)
> > > for 6 years.
> > > HH
> > >
> > > "NuT CrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> > nightmare.

> > can
> > > mere
> > > worth

> supporting
> times
> > its

> use.
> > This
> > active
> > created
> the
> cannot
> > at
> > > my
> please
> > be

>Running PC setup is not particularly slow when run from a floppy disk, but I
>agree diags are.

I agree. Doubt one would observe a difference between HDD or FDD for Setup.

I am curious why the original poster wants to run Setup to change anything in
the BIOS. HDDs are auto-detected, and manual changes are not normally needed.
If the HDD is too large the overlay or an added controller card will be
needed...

I get the feeling the real solution is not Setup but a HDD larger than the BIOS
will recognize...

But running Setup from diskette was a good recommendation, and not worthy of
the dis.

Dale

I was the original poster and the reason was that I am a novice and didn't
know any better. I that that the setup might let me change the size,# of
heads etc like non compaq systems do. But thanks to all the help I received
in this NG I learned that you have to flash the ROM to accept larger than 8
gig drives.

Rob (artist formerly known as mick)