Question F12 and F2 keys not working on Dell Inspiron 17R 5720 ?

Jul 1, 2022
Hello community, I need help with my Dell Inspiron 17R 5720 laptop.

Last night I was messing with AOMEI partition assistant software when I accidentally merged a 100mb partition to the same C: drive. Upon applying the setting and restarting my laptop, AOMEI ran a script and my laptop now wont boot. All I get is the following black screen that reads: "F12 Boot Options"
But when I press F12 nothing happens. I press F2 to go into BIOS setting and still nothing happens. So I cannot boot from USB or CD.

I also removed the internal hard drive from the laptop and restarted the pc to try and see if i could boot into bios settings but it won't work. Basically boot options, bios, and safe mode are not working. I tried CTRL + ESC as an attempt to load into the repair bios screen, but CTRL + ESC wont work on my laptop.

Laptop is running Windows 10 Pro x64-bit

Nz8Yvq.jpg

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

when I accidentally merged a 100mb partition to the same C: drive upon applying the setting and restarting my laptop AOMEI ran a script and my laptop now wont boot.
You're just shy of reinstalling the OS afresh on your laptop. Does the laptop also have an mSATA SSD? If so, try removing that and attempt to press on F12 or F2 or Esc. I'd also try and attempt to use an USB driven keyboard in case the keyboard on the laptop has faulty keys.

Jul 1, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

when I accidentally merged a 100mb partition to the same C: drive upon applying the setting and restarting my laptop AOMEI ran a script and my laptop now wont boot.
You're just shy of reinstalling the OS afresh on your laptop. Does the laptop also have an mSATA SSD? If so, try removing that and attempt to press on F12 or F2 or Esc. I'd also try and attempt to use an USB driven keyboard in case the keyboard on the laptop has faulty keys.

1. The laptop has an mSATA SSD slot, which no SSD is attached to it, it’s empty.

2. The keyboard on the laptop works because when I press F12 Boot options it hightlights it to a brighter white, but it gets stuck there. I went ahead and tried a USB keyboard like you said but its the same problem.

My laptop was working fine, everything was working perfectly all the way until I accidentally merged a 100mb partition to the same C: drive using the AOMEI software. The issue started when AOMEI restarted and applied the settings. It ran a script when it was restarting and now it wont boot. Basically something I did inside the AOMEI caused this issue. I have researched all over the internet and have not found a solution to my problem.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022
View: https://youtu.be/aS7DLweqWcQ
Here I'm uploading a video of my laptop demonstrating the issue I'm having. The video demonstrates me powering the laptop and pressing F12 Boot Options, and nothing happens. I then power off the Laptop and power it back on hitting F2 for BIOS and it wont load up.

Note! In this video the laptop does not have a bootable internal hard drive, mSATA SSD, USB bootable Drive, nor a Bootable CD. I removed all of this to obsolete any obstacles to try to just boot into F2 BIOS.

Last edited: