[SOLVED] F8 on boot crashes my computer

Oct 4, 2019
So I have an Asus Prime z370 ii -A and when booting you of course have the option to press F2 or DEL to load bios. All fine and dandy but I need to get to the boot manger so I press F8. However all that does is freeze on that screen prompting to you press F2 or DEL. This forces me to then press the power button on my PC and turn it back on again. However at this time when I press F2 or DEL it goes to a grey screen and then freezes on that and no longer loads the bios. Keep in mind before I do that F8 trick the bios works fine. After that I am forced to take out the batter AND use the CMOS jumper to rest the bios. Then I have to unplug everything from my PC including USB sticks, and because I am extra, my GPU and left one stick of ram. Otherwise when it trys to set up the bios it also crashes. Note I do not believe hardware causes the F8 issue as I tested it with that basic system that I had to use to get it to reset the bios. I am thoroughly confused by this situation and have no idea what F8 has done to corrupt the whole bios and boot up process. Last resort I could try resetting windows. Maybe editing the boot options in windows. I am really at a loss.

Note also I have just flashed the bios and it is running the latest version from Asus. If anyone has any ideas at all please let me know I am all ears. I will contact Asus tomorrow in hopes of a warranty claim to get a new one but no gauntness with Asus's bad customer service. Plus I study in computer science and the curiosity is killing me right now. My computer works fine until I try to access my dual boot. So i am just using windows strictly until there is a good fix.

Solution
So I have an Asus Prime z370 ii -A and when booting you of course have the option to press F2 or DEL to load bios. All fine and dandy but I need to get to the boot manger so I press F8. However all that does is freeze on that screen prompting to you press F2 or DEL. This forces me to then press the power button on my PC and turn it back on again. However at this time when I press F2 or DEL it goes to a grey screen and then freezes on that and no longer loads the bios. Keep in mind before I do that F8 trick the bios works fine. After that I am forced to take out the batter AND use the CMOS jumper to rest the bios. Then I have to unplug everything from my PC including USB sticks, and because I am extra, my GPU and left one stick of...
So I have an Asus Prime z370 ii -A and when booting you of course have the option to press F2 or DEL to load bios. All fine and dandy but I need to get to the boot manger so I press F8. However all that does is freeze on that screen prompting to you press F2 or DEL. This forces me to then press the power button on my PC and turn it back on again. However at this time when I press F2 or DEL it goes to a grey screen and then freezes on that and no longer loads the bios. Keep in mind before I do that F8 trick the bios works fine. After that I am forced to take out the batter AND use the CMOS jumper to rest the bios. Then I have to unplug everything from my PC including USB sticks, and because I am extra, my GPU and left one stick of ram. Otherwise when it trys to set up the bios it also crashes. Note I do not believe hardware causes the F8 issue as I tested it with that basic system that I had to use to get it to reset the bios. I am thoroughly confused by this situation and have no idea what F8 has done to corrupt the whole bios and boot up process. Last resort I could try resetting windows. Maybe editing the boot options in windows. I am really at a loss.

Note also I have just flashed the bios and it is running the latest version from Asus. If anyone has any ideas at all please let me know I am all ears. I will contact Asus tomorrow in hopes of a warranty claim to get a new one but no gauntness with Asus's bad customer service. Plus I study in computer science and the curiosity is killing me right now. My computer works fine until I try to access my dual boot. So i am just using windows strictly until there is a good fix.
Have you tried to set the boot priority in the bios and let it boot the usb as the primary option? ?

If it boots from the usb that way then my next suggestion is nul-in-void.

- this isn't normal usually wouldn't cause this issue, however I know it's possible when working at geek squad this happened to a co-worker. The usb your using could be currpted and or have connection issues, when we unplugged the usb from the pc he was working on and used a new usb worked no problem. Well it did it's job we tried to connect "the bad usb" to are pc's to re'create it's boot image, it kept flashing installing usb drivers like it was connecting disconnecting connect disconncting. We tossed it and grabbed got a new usb to use

Last edited:
Solution